Leaseholder services

There are a number of teams within leaseholder services carrying out a wide range of tasks relating to the management of Camden’s leasehold properties.

The assignment and sales team

Primarily look after:

  • right to buy applications
  • providing information for leaseholders who are selling their flats or re-mortgaging
  • registering lease transfers
  • registering sub-let properties
  • charges at Land Registry
  • responding to requests for lease copies

The leasehold admin team

Provide general advice to all leaseholders on lease matters including lease extensions, freehold purchase, alterations and issues arising from head leases. The team administer:

  • statutory enfranchisement applications
  • lease changes by deed of variation and deed of rectification
  • recognised Tenants Associations
  • administering demands from freeholders for payment of rent and service charges

The leasehold revenue accounts team

Are responsible for calculating day to day service charges. The majority of the team’s costs are recovered via the Certification, Accounting and Auditing charge (CA&A). Key functions include:

  • the calculation of estimated and actual day to day service charges
  • facilitating account inspections, and assisting with the collation of information for LVT and court cases.

The leasehold enquiry team

Look after: 

  • service charge account queries
  • collecting service charges
  • managing Service charge Loans
  • answering queries and resolving disputes
  • represent Camden during mediation
  • represent Camden at the first tier tribunal(Leasehold Valuation Tribunal) and Court

The debtors team 

Look after:

  • carrying out the day to day banking for the reconciliation of customers’ service charge accounts
  • producing and issuing invoices
  • dealing with leaseholders’ enquiries about service charge payments

The consultation and final accounts team

Carry out the following tasks:

  • sending formal consultation notices about building repair, renewal & maintenance works and new service contracts being proposed
  • responding to observations about consultation notices and general enquiries from leaseholders about major works demands
  • calculating and sending estimated and actual invoices

Contacting leaseholder services

If you’d like to talk to an officer from leaseholder services you can telephone, email or write to us to make arrangements. We are also able to offer meetings via video calls or face-to-face. 

Contact Camden look after leaseholders’ telephone enquiries. You can call us on 020 7974 3559.

If you need to contact leaseholder services direct you can email us at

Alternatively you can write to us at: Leaseholder Services, Crowndale Centre, 218 Eversholt Street, London NW1 1BD.

Service charges

Find out more about estimated charges and actual adjustments in our useful service charge guide. You’ll find information for all day to day service charges including:

  • what works/tasks you are charged for
  • the costs included in the charge
  • how we calculate your share of the cost

You can find the guide on our website at Service charge, Insurance and Freeholders.

When we send your actual adjustment we provide a summary of costs giving a breakdown of the total amount payable. You can obtain further details on the Camden Account. If you have not registered to the Camden Account yet, go to Camden Account where you’ll also find a guide to help you access all the functions available.

If you have a query about your service charge and can’t find the information you’re looking for in either our service charge guide or major works guide, contact Leaseholder Services 

Major works

Major works estimated charges and actual adjustments are issued in the same way as those for day to day charges. Information about statutory consultation is included in our major works guide, along with details of the payment options available and can be found at consultation with leaseholders

The Camden Account holds information about major works being undertaken to your block including cost summaries and details of future major works.

Consulting and major works

Camden must consult with leaseholders if we intend to carry out works, repairs or improvements to your block or estate. How we consult with you depends on the type of contract we use to carry out the works.

You can find more information about major works consultation, billing and payment options here.

Requesting a repair

The quickest, easiest way to report a non-urgent repair is by using the Camden Account where you can report a repair 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

You can also report non-urgent repairs by text on 0736277909, or by using our live web chat.

If the repair is an emergency please call us on 020 7974 4444.

For more information please go to report a repair.

Making a complaint

If you are unhappy with how we have handled your query or you feel that we haven't solved your problem you can make a complaint.

The Building Safety Act 2022

The Building Safety Act 2022 introduced a number of measures to improve safety in residential buildings and reduce potential risks. The key provisions to the Act include:

  • Implementation of a compulsory registration system for residential structures, guaranteeing that all such buildings are documented and subject to routine assessments.
  • Protections for qualifying buildings and qualifying leaseholders.
  • Introduction of the notion of the 'Accountable Person' who will bear responsibility for the building's safety across its entire lifespan.
  • Enhanced responsibility and tracking of building materials and products employed in construction.
  • An emphasis on involving and empowering residents, ensuring their input is valued throughout the entirety of the building process
  • Additionally, the Act creates three new organisations:
    • the Building Safety Regulator
    • the National Regulator of Construction Products
    • the New Homes Ombudsman, to ensure efficient oversight of these reforms

Our high-rise buildings list is available here.

Leaseholder Protections

The leaseholder protections in the Building Safety Act 2022 (“the Act”) came into force on 28 June 2022, with new financial protections for leaseholders in buildings above 11 metres, or five storeys, with historical safety defects.

The Act ensures that those who built defective buildings take responsibility for remedying them, that the industry contributes to fixing the problem, and that leaseholders are protected in law from crippling bills for historical safety defects.

Qualifying leaseholders are protected from all cladding system remediation costs. And those whose property is valued as being less than £325,000 in Greater London, on 14 February 2022, are exempt from all historical relevant defects remediation costs.

The Act also ensures that any contribution required from qualifying leaseholders for non-cladding defects and interim measures (including waking watch costs) is firmly capped and spread over 10 years, with any relevant costs already paid out since 28 June 2017 counting towards the cap. If remediation costs exceed the cap, the Council must make up the difference.

In order to confirm whether your building is a ‘Qualifying Building’, or you are a ‘Qualifying Leaseholder’, please read the information below;

Does your Building Qualify under the Act?

Your building must be above eleven metres, or five floors high;

Building Safety Act 2022 – Section 118

“(2)The height of a building is to be measured from ground level to the finished surface of the floor of the top storey of the building, ignoring any storey which is a roof-top machinery or plant area or consists exclusively of machinery or plant rooms.

(3)When determining the number of storeys in a building

(a)any storey below ground level is to be disregarded;

(b)any mezzanine floor is to be regarded as a storey if its internal floor area is at least half of the internal floor area of the largest storey in the building, which is not below ground level.

(4)In subsection (2) “ground level”, in relation to a building, means

(a)the level of the surface of the ground immediately adjacent to the building, or

(b)where the level of the surface of the ground on which the building is situated is not uniform, the level of the lowest part of the surface of the ground immediately adjacent to it.

(5)For the purposes of subsection (3) a storey is “below ground level” if any part of the finished surface of the ceiling of the storey is below the level of the surface of the ground immediately adjacent to that part of the building.”

Are you a ‘Qualifying Leaseholder’? completing a Leaseholder Deed of Certificate

You can choose to complete a ‘Leasehold Deed of Certificate’ at any point, and/ or you must provide us with a Leaseholder Deed of Certificate when notified to do so. We can then determine whether you are a qualifying leaseholder under the Act, or not. In order to complete the Leaseholder Deed of Certificate you must include;                                                                                                                   

  • the name of the leaseholder on 14 February 2022
  • whether this was their/ your principal home, or they/ you own three or less UK properties
  • you need to include their/ your official copy, and their/ your sale completion document, as this will determine whether your property was worth more than £325,000 on 14 February 2022

Please note that the deed must be executed by the person who is the leaseholder under the lease, and be executed as a deed (that is, a legal document that is signed by you, and signed and witnessed by someone who is not a family member).

If you are a qualifying leaseholder and your property was worth less than £325,000 on 14 February 2022, then you are not required to contribute towards any ‘relevant defect’* work carried out to your building. If you are a qualifying leaseholder and your property was worth more than £325,000 on 14 February 2022, then you will be capped to contributing no more than £15,000 towards any ‘relevant defect’* work carried out to your building.

What is ‘Relevant Defect’ work?

The law now defines what a relevant defect is, for the purposes of the leasehold protections, meaning the cost of remediating the defect is covered. For a defect within a building to be defined as a ‘relevant defect’ it must meet all of the following criteria;

  • It puts peoples safety at risk from the spread of smoke or fire, or structural collapse of the building, or any part of it
  • It has arisen from work done to a building, including the use of inappropriate or defective products during its construction, or any later works (such as refurbishment of remediation)
  • It has been created in the 30 years prior to the leaseholder protections coming into force, meaning the defect had to be created from 28 June 1992 to 27 June 2022 and
  • It relates to at least one of the following types of works;
    • The initial construction of the building,
    • The conversion of a non-residential building into a residential building, or
    • Any other works undertaken or commissioned by, or on behalf of, the building owner or management company

Work done before, or after, 28 June 2022 to remediate a relevant defect that was itself created during one of the above pieces of work is also covered by the leaseholder protections.

Defects that have arisen in relation to professional services are also covered by the definition of relevant defect. This would include, for example, if an architect or building designer specified the inappropriate use of flammable materials on a building and the contractor followed those designs.

This definition of a relevant defect covers work needed to put right, and ease historical building safety issues, but not, for example, wear and tear or routine maintenance.

Any further queries relating to the Landlord’s Certificate or the Leaseholder Deed of Certificate should to be sent to

Shared ownership and building safety: letter to registered providers of social housing

On 19 December 2023 the Secretary of State for Levelling up Housing and Communities, Rt Hon Michael Gove MP, wrote to registered providers of social housing on shared ownership and building safety, a link to the letter can be found here.

Homes England has made a series of changes to their funding guidance to clarify and improve the options available to registered providers of social housing to help support shared owners affected by building safety issues.

The Secretary of State’s letter draws attention to these changes and encourages registered providers to make use of them wherever possible. The Greater London Authority will also make similar changes to their funding guidance for homes delivered in the capital.