Collective Enfranchisement

Collective Enfranchisement is when a group of leaseholders within a building group together to exercise their right to buy the freehold of the building from the council.   In order to apply to buy the freehold, the following conditions must be met:

  • At least two thirds of the flats in a building must be sold on long leases. This means at least 21 years long.
  • The number of leaseholders applying to purchase the freehold must equal at least half of the number of properties in the building.  For example, if there are 6 flats in the building at least 4 must be leasehold.
  • At least 3 of those must join together to apply to buy the freehold. 
  • If there are only two properties in the building, then both must be leasehold.

Any leaseholder who does not wish to participate in the purchase would become a leaseholder of the new freeholder.  The new freeholder would be required to grant a 999 year lease back to the Council for any tenanted properties in the building.  This means the Council will become the leaseholder of the tenanted flats and the existing tenant would remain in the property.  The tenants would retain their Right to Buy their home.  If you are interested in purchasing the freehold of your building you should seek your own professional advice.   You will also need to employ a valuer and a solicitor. You can also obtain more information from the Leasehold Advisory Service.

If you buy the freehold of the building you will have to pay the Council’s fees which are variable.  You will also have to pay all outstanding service charges before completion of the sale.

Voluntary Freehold Sale Scheme

This has been developed by Camden Council and is not a statutory scheme.  If all the flats within a building are leasehold, the Council may be willing to sell the freehold of the building as long as all the leaseholders participate in the purchase.  If your building is eligible, you can request an application form from leaseholder services.  All of the leaseholders in the building must complete the form.  Once we’ve received your application, we will value the freehold and all the leaseholders can decide if they wish to proceed.  

Our fees are only payable if all leaseholders accept the Council’s valuation.  The fees are currently £282 plus a variable legal fee.  These are payable in addition to the cost of the freehold purchase.  You will need to appoint your own solicitor.  Please be aware that you will have to pay all outstanding service charges before completion of the sale.

Lease Extensions

Camden does not issue voluntary lease extensions nor give an indication as to price.

Leaseholders may have a statutory right to acquire a lease extension once the lease has been held for two years. You would need to appoint a solicitor and valuer to submit a formal notice under section 42 of the Leasehold Reform Housing and Urban Development Act 1993. In the notice you would propose a price for the lease extension.

The new lease would be for the remaining term of the existing lease plus 90 years.

Further information on the lease renewal process can be obtained from an independent body called the Leasehold Advisory Service