Make a complaint

Make a complaint

Make a complaint about a council service and we will respond to your complaint within 20 working days. Choose this option if you have had a service failure,  for example poor staff conduct. You can also contact these services directly with your complaint:

View Camden's Children’s Statutory services Complaints Report 2019/2020

A complaint that a member has breached the Code of Conduct needs to be made in writing and sent to the Council's Monitoring Officer, the Borough Solicitor either online or via post.

Alternatively, please complete the Complaint against a councillor form and email it to

LBC annual Complaints Report 2019-2020 final

Camden complaints process and policy

To view the formal complaints policy click here.

The policy is based on the principle of a two-stage process.

  • The complaint will be escalated to the relevant service department for a resolution
  • The local service department resolution will then be reviewed

The complaints policy will apply both to services we provide and to services where we have a responsibility, such as contracted services.

When replying to a complaint, we will inform the complainant of any right of further redress, such as Housing Ombudsman and Local Government Ombudsman (after the review stage.)

If you are still dissatisfied by the outcome of your complaint after you have been through the Councils internal complaints process, you may wish to complain to the Ombudsman. Details about how you can complain to the relevant Ombudsman service will be explained in your review stage response letter.

The Housing Ombudsman and Local Government Ombudsman are independent from the Council.

Complaints by Councillors and Members of Parliament

The complaints policy is intended for individual citizens to seek redress. Councillors and MPs may bring a formal complaint by acting as their constituent’s advocate.

Special Cases

We intend, where possible, to allow a complaint to be dealt with under this procedure. The only exceptions relate to some statutory and legal limitations. Some examples are:

  • A Town and Country Planning appeal against refusal of planning permission.
  • A complaint where the customer or the council has started legal proceedings or has taken court action but not cases where a customer has simply threatened to start legal proceedings against the council.
  • A complaint that has already been heard by a court or tribunal, including the council's benefit review procedure.
  • A complaint about adult social care or children’s issues covered by the statutory procedures.
  • A school admission or exclusion appeal.
  • A staff complaint about a personnel matter, including appointments, dismissals, pay, pensions and discipline (but not from staff as service users.)
  • A complaint about council policy or an insurance matter.
  • A complaint about the issue of a Penalty Charge Notice by Parking Services (except administrative issues) and the recovery process thereof, which are subject to a separate appeal process.
  • A complaint against the refusal of disabled badges for parking exemption (where a special appeal process applies.)

How to make a claim against the council

If you have suffered an injury and/or property damage, and you consider the London Borough of Camden to be responsible, please print off the relevant claim form below, complete and sign the form and email it to us at

In some cases, you may have other insurances that cover the relevant damage or injury. They would usually be able to do so more quickly and without any future premium penalty or, in the cases of property losses, without deduction for wear and tear which would normally be applied to a liability property damage claim.

If you are a Camden tenant and have your contents insured through Allianz Insurance and wish to make a claim via this Policy, please contact Rent Support in the usual way. Allianz Insurance is provided through Rent Support.

Completion of this form should not be construed as a right to compensation. The Council will only pay compensation where evidence of negligence or a breach of statutory duty on behalf of the Council and/or its employees exists.

The Council will not consider claims that are a result of the negligence of contractors.

In order to manage expectations in terms of the-time frame for handling any claim, the Council follows the Civil Procedure Rules. Therefore, we will meet the following deadlines:

  • Acknowledgement of claim within 21 days.
  • The Council has 3 months from acknowledgement of your claim to investigate the circumstances that gave rise to your claim and provide a response on liability.
  • In addition to the deadlines imposed by the Civil Procedure Rules, the Council will endeavour to respond to any correspondence from you within 14 days.

If you have any queries in regards to the claims process, please contact the insurance team.

Portal claims made against the council are handled in-house. As such, all new Portal claims should be made directly against the council via the Claims Portal (Portal ID: G00549).

How do I report a fraud?

You can report:

  • fraud
  • corruption
  • bribery
  • irregularity

To either of the following:

Camden’s Anti-Fraud and Investigations Team (AFIT) on any of the following numbers:

All calls are treated confidentially. If you raise a concern in good faith, under the Public Interest Disclosure Act 1998, no action will be taken against you even if no evidence of wrongdoing is found.

You may also contact the following organisation outside the Council for assistance with your concern:

Public Concern at Work, now known as Protect.

Telephone: 020 3117 2520

Anti-Fraud and Corruption Strategy July 2020 (PDF)

Anti-Bribery Policy July 2020 (PDF)

Anti-Money Laundering Policy Aug 2019 (PDF)