On this page:

Housing in Camden

Demand is high for affordable housing in Camden. Rent is expensive and our social housing register has over 7,600 people on it. Unfortunately, the majority of people will not have an opportunity to accept a social housing tenancy.

There are options available however and not every option is a new home. We are here to help you explore possible solutions to your housing needs including financial support, repairs or adaptations. 

Tell us as soon as possible if you are homeless or at risk of being homeless.

Experiencing domestic abuse

If you, or someone you know is experiencing domestic abuse or you feel unsafe in your home, we can provide you with confidential housing advice and support. For more information about domestic abuse, including details for our team of qualified Independent Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence Advocates contact Camden Safety Net.   

Support to stay in your private rental property

Help with rental costs

If you are struggling to pay your rent, you should check which benefits you’re entitled to. You may also be eligible for financial support to help with the cost of living

Housing repairs

If you are living in poor housing conditions such as damp and mould, you can contact the Private Sector Housing Team

If your home is unsafe and your landlord is refusing to make essential repairs, then you can call us on 020 7974 4444. Shelter has advice on what to do if your private landlord won't do repairs.

Report anti-social behaviour

If you are feeling unsafe in your current home due to the behaviour of others, you can report anti-social behaviour to our Community Safety Team.

Disabled Facilities Grant

If you or a member of your household has a disability, you or your landlord can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant to cover the cost of changes to the property. If you have applied, your landlord must agree to the changes.

Equipment and technology

If you are struggling to live independently, you can contact Adult Social Care. They can assess your needs and tell you more about equipment and technology to support independence.

Find a private rental property

It can be difficult to find affordable private rental properties in Camden. The Camden private renter’s website has information on everything from finding a property to deposits and disputes.

Shelter has information on how to find landlords who accept benefits. Remember, it is potentially unlawful for them to say that they won’t. 

You could also consider options outside of London. You can search for private rental properties on sites such as Rightmove and Zoopla. You may find more affordable options on the Spareroom site.

Move to another social housing property

If you are a council or housing association tenant and your home no longer meets your needs, there are options available.

Downsize your property

If your council property has more bedrooms than you need, we will provide financial help to downsize. If you are over 60 and want to find out more, you can arrange an appointment with the Under Occupancy Team.

Home swap or mutual exchange

A mutual exchange is when you swap your home legally with another council or housing association tenant. 

Move to a different part of the country

Homefinder is a national housing scheme helping applicants to find social housing in parts of the country where there is more availability.  

Moving options for older tenants

The seaside and country homes scheme is for residents over 55 years old. This is an opportunity to move to a housing association bungalow or flat in the south coast or west country. 

If you are over 65 and have support needs, you could consider sheltered housing. This provides a safe and secure flat where you can come and go as you please with the support of an on-site scheme manager.

Council and housing association homes

Camden has high demand for social housing and very few properties. You should explore all your housing options as unfortunately you are unlikely to get a property.

Intermediate housing

Intermediate housing costs more than council accommodation, but less than a private rental. Demand for this type of housing is high while the number of available properties is low.

Apply for council housing

Check if you're eligible to join the housing register. Demand for council housing is very high. Unfortunately, even if you have a priority housing need you may wait several years before you can be housed. 

  • 7,600 households are on Camden's housing register looking for a new home, an increase of 9% this year
  • Less than 3% of homes become available for letting each year
  • Two-thirds of homes that become available are studios or 1-beds.
  • Fewer than 60 3-beds and 25 4-beds became available in 2023. There are currently nearly 2,000 households looking for a 3-bed and 500 for a 4-bed.