Skip to main content

Claim benefits you're entitled to

This is the improved Camden website. Tell us what you think.

Claim benefits you're entitled to

Check you're receiving all the benefits you're entitled to including if you work, if you're a pensioner, and if you're disabled using our Better Off Calculator. Find out more about different benefits below.

If you need help to use the calculator, use the web chat feature to speak with a benefits adviser, or call us on 020 7974 4444.  

Get advice

If you receive benefits and the calculator suggests you're eligible to receive others, get advice before you apply in one of 3 ways:

You can also check which benefits are available to you at 

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs. You may be able to get it if you have a low income, out of work or you cannot work. 

Housing Benefit

You can make a new claim for Housing Benefit if you are:

  • pension age and a single person 
  • pension age and have a partner who is also of pension age
  • working age and live in specified, or temporary accommodation

Working Tax Credit

You must receive Child Tax Credit and work a certain number of hours to be eligible for Working Tax Credit. The amount you receive will depend on your circumstances.

Health and disability benefits

If you’re disabled, have a long-term physical or mental health condition that impacts your day-to-day life, have caring needs, or difficult moving around - or if you have a child aged 16 and under who meets this criteria - there are three benefits you can apply for:

  • If you’re 66 or over, apply for Attendance Allowance. It’s worth £72 to £108 per week. To apply, call 0800 731 0122
  • If you’re 16 and over, apply Personal Independence Payment (PIP). It’s worth £28 to £184 per week. To apply, call 0800 917 2222
  • If you have a child aged 16 and under, apply for a Disability Living Allowance. It's worth £28 to £108 a week to help with the costs of looking after your child. To apply, call 0800 121 4600

These benefits are not means-tested so it doesn't matter how much you earn, or how much you have in savings.

Child Benefit

You can apply for Child Benefit if you’re responsible for bringing up a child who is:

  • under 16
  • under 20 if they stay in approved education or training

Child Tax Credit

You can apply for Child Tax Credit if you already receive Working Tax Credit.

Pension Credit

If you're 66 or over, check if you’re eligible for Pension Credit or call 0800 99 12 34. It can top up your weekly income to £218 if you're single or £332 for couples. It may also help you access other benefits like discounted or free NHS services, and a free TV licence.

Carer's Allowance

If you care for someone for at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits, you may be eligible for Carer's Allowance. This pays up to £81 per week, but may affect other benefits that you and the person you care for receive so get advice before applying.

Age UK have information on financial support for carers.

Benefit advances and loans 

Council Tax reductions, discounts and exemptions