On this page:
- What it is
- Who can register interest
- How to register interest
- What happens next
- Intermediate housing currently being built
- Intermediate housing providers
Intermediate housing includes intermediate rent and shared ownership.
Intermediate rent costs more than council housing, but less than a private tenancy. Each home is built, managed and let by a social housing landlord such as a housing association or the Council.
Intermediate rent homes are usually let on an assured shorthold tenancy. This means that they are fixed for between one and five years. This can be renewed.
Unfortunately, demand for these properties is high, but supply is low. You should explore all housing options.
You are eligible for intermediate rent if:
- you are a Camden resident, or have worked in Camden for six months or more
- your annual household income is between £20,000 and £60,000
Applications are also considered for house shares where income can be pooled. This means that you could be considered for a property that you could not afford on your own.
A registration of interest is valid for 3 months. After this you will be contacted by email to ask if you want to re-register.
The register of interest form should take about 10 minutes to complete. We will need you to provide your:
- home address
- work address and start date if you work in Camden
You should only reply yes to the question ‘are you a social housing tenant?’ if the tenancy is in your name.
Once you have registered your interest, you will be prioritised depending on the following criteria:
- Camden social housing tenant
- Camden resident on the housing register
- Any other Camden resident
- Non-Camden resident who has worked in the borough for the previous 6 months
Unfortunately, demand is high, but the supply of intermediate housing is low. Housing providers will only send you an email if you are eligible and properties are available.
If you're invited to view any intermediate rent homes, you will need to:
- provide at least two references, with one being from your current employer
- have enough savings to pay one month’s rent in advance
- have enough savings to pay a deposit which could be up to one month’s rent in advance
The estimated completion dates are the very earliest that these homes will be available.
8 Intermediate Rent units - 4 x studio, 4 x 1 bed
Housing Provider: Southern Housing
Estimated Completion date: September 2023
23 Intermediate Rent homes - 1 x studio, 10 x 1 bed, 6 x 2 bed (3 person), 6 x 2 bed (4 person)
Housing provider: Newlon Housing Trust
Estimated completion date: July 2024
100 Avenue Road
5 Intermediate Rent homes
Housing provider: TBC
Estimated completion date: August 2025
The following organisations currently provide intermediate homes in Camden or will be providing some in the next year:
- A2 Dominion
- Camden Living
- Dolphin Living
- Network Homes
- Notting Hill Housing Group
- One Housing Group
- Soho HA