Camden Planning Guidance
Camden Planning Guidance (CPG) provides advice and information on how we will apply our planning policies.
The adopted CPG documents can be 'material considerations' in planning decisions. However, they have less weight than the Local Plan or other development plan documents.
We recently consulted on a number of draft updates to the following CPG documents.
Substantive redrafts of the following documents:
Housing CPG – this combines the two existing adopted documents (Housing CPG2 and Interim Housing) into one document and has been rewritten to:
- break down the guidance on "Affordable Housing and Housing in Mixed-use Development" into a number of coherent sections to make it easier to use (e.g. a new section on our preferred types of affordable housing and how they should be delivered)
- update guidance on off-site housing/ affordable housing, including residential and affordable housing credits (formerly in CPG2)
- update guidance on viability assessment, including deferred housing and affordable housing contributions (formerly in CPG2)
- provide higher payment-in-lieu rates (£ per sqm) based on evidence from viability consultants (formerly incorporated in the Interim Housing CPG using payment rates from before Local Plan adoption). The viability evidence can be viewed here.
incentivise providing housing/ affordable on the application site or an alternative site nearby, rather than making a payment-in-lieu
Altering and extending your home renamed Home Improvements CPG
This document has been totally redrafted to be more user friendly and provide clearer guidance on how you can alter your home to be family friendly. It:
- Includes both good and bad examples of alterations
- Is less prescriptive and more principle based around four key considerations; home, sustainability, neighbours and community
- Supports more flexibility in assessment of schemes on case by case merits
- Includes information about energy efficiency measures as part of sustainability principle, to be applied on their own and/or along with other extensions and alterations to properties
Minor changes to parts of the following documents:
We consulted on more limited updates to the CPG documents listed below, focussing on amendments to reflect wider planning changes, or to provide clarification or updates.
You can view:
- a summary of the changes to these documents,
- detailed word changes proposed in a table format
- full copies of the documents with tracked change
The CPG documents being amended are:
- Air Quality
- Community uses, leisure and pubs
- Employment sites and business premises
- Energy efficiency and adaptation
- Planning for health and wellbeing
- Town centres and retail
What happens next?
We are currently considering the responses received. Taking into account the views received we will prepare final versions of the above documents and report them to the Cabinet Member for Investing in Communities, Culture and an Inclusive Economy for formal adoption as Supplementary Planning Documents.
Once adopted, the CPG documents can be ‘material considerations’ in planning decisions, although they will have less weight than the Local Plan or other development plan documents.
Adopted CPG documents:
- Access for All CPG - March 2019
- Adverts CPG - March 2018
- Air Quality CPG - March 2019
- Altering and extending your home CPG - March 2019
- Amenity CPG - March 2018
- Artworks, statues and memorials CPG - March 2019
- Basements CPG - March 2018
- Biodiversity CPG - March 2018
- Community uses,leisure and pubs CPG - March 2018
- Design CPG - March 2019
- Developer Contribution CPG - March 2019
- Digital Infrastructure CPG - March 2018
- Employment sites and business premises CPG - March 2018
- Energy efficiency and adaptation CPG - March 2019
- Interim Housing CPG - as amended March 2019
- CPG 2 Housing - as amended March 2019
- Planning for health and wellbeing CPG - March 2018
- Public open space CPG - March 2018
- Student housing CPG - March 2019
- Town centres and retail CPG - March 2018
- Transport CPG - March 2019
- Trees CPG - March 2019
- Water and flooding CPG - March 2019
The previous CPG 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 documents have now been fully superseded. CPG 2 - Housing has been updated as part of the reviews and is included above. The document includes notes to indicate where text has been replaced or removed.
The CPG documents were adopted by Council on 26 March 2018. This followed consultation as Phase 1 of the review and 18 March 2019 following consultation as Phase 2 of the review. Copies of the consultation responses were included within the reports linked above.