Checklist before moving in - Private Renters in Camden
Checklist before moving in
- How much is the rent?
- Will you have to pay a deposit?
- Does the landlord accept housing benefit?
- Will you get enough housing benefit to cover the rent?
- How much council tax will you have to pay?
- What's the average monthly heating bill?
- Are there any other bills to pay e.g. water?
Location and transport
- How far away is the property from your place of work or study?
- How far away is it from family and friends?
- Are there useful shops close by?
- Is the property on a bus or train route?
- If you have special health needs, are there suitable medical facilities practitioners nearby?
- Are there good nurseries and schools nearby?
- Is the area well lit?
- Would you feel safe travelling home at night?
- Is the wiring safe? Check to see if any fittings, plugs, etc, are loose from the wall.
- Are the electrical appliances safe? Your landlord should get them checked every 12 months. Usually the electrician will put a sticker on the plug of each appliance saying when they were last checked.
- Is there sufficient ventilation e.g. fan to bathrooms, openable windows to bedrooms and living rooms?
- Can your landlord show you a valid gas safety certificate (needed every year) and an electrical installation condition report (EICR) (needed every five years) ?
- Are there working smoke alarms?
- Is there a fire blanket in the kitchen?
- Does the furniture comply with safety regulations? Items such as sofas and mattresses should have labels on them to show they pass the regulations.
- How secure are the locks on the doors and windows?
- Does the front door have more than a simple ‘yale’ type lock e.g. a dead lock?
- Is there a spyhole so you can see who's outside?
- If the property is a flat, does it have an entry phone system?
- Does the property have an energy performance certificate?
- What form of heating does the property use?
- Are the windows single glazed or double glazed, Are they draughty?
General condition of the property
- Is it big enough for you and your household?
- Is there any sign of damp, such as mould on the walls or carpets?
- Is the property big enough for all your belongings?
- Where are the gas and electric meters?
- Do all the lights work?
- Do the taps work?
- Does the shower work?
- How much furniture is provided?
- What condition is the furniture in?
- Is there enough storage space?
- Is there a washing machine?
- Is a vacuum cleaner provided?
- Are the curtains and carpets in a reasonable condition?
- Are any kitchen utensils and pans supplied?
- Does the cooker work?
- Does the fridge work?
- How clean is the kitchen?
- Are there any internet and TV connections?
- What is the mobile coverage like inside the property?
Outside the property
- Who is responsible for cleaning the communal areas?
- Is there a back yard or garden?
- If so, is it secure?
- Who is responsible for the garden?
- How is rubbish collected?
- Is there a wheelie bin or bin house?
- What's the outside of the building like?
- Are any of the gutters broken?
- Do any roof tiles look loose?
- Is the brickwork crumbling at all?
- If occupied by more 3 or more sharers, does the property have an HMO licence?
- Would you feel able to approach the landlord/managing agent if anything went wrong?
Find my nearest
The easiest way to find nearest schools, council services, your councillors, car parks and more.