The full Council Tax bill assumes that there are two adults living in your home.

You may be entitled to: 

  • disablement relief if you or, someone who lives with you is disabled and certain conditions apply
  • a discount of 25% if you're the only adult living in your home
  • a discount of 25% if all but one person living in your home falls into one of the groups of people who are disregarded
  • a discount of 50% if everyone living in your home is disregarded
  • a discount of 50% if you're required to live in accommodation provided by your employer under the terms of employment
  • an exemption if your property qualifies for it

Disablement relief means that your Council Tax bill is reduced by reducing the band for your property.  

To apply for a discount or disablement relief, you must contact the Council Tax service

Council Tax Support

If you are entitled to a discount or disablement relief, you can still apply for Council Tax Support.

Change of circumstances

If we have given you a discount, disablement relief or an exemption, and your circumstances change, you must tell us within 21 days. If you do not, you may have to pay a fine.

Backdating a claim 

It is not our policy to backdate claims for discounts when you live alone. We will only do this if we make an error.