The full council tax bill assumes that there are two adults living in your home
You may be entitled to:
- disablement relief if you or, someone who lives with you is disabled and certain conditions apply
- a discount of 25% if you are the only adult living in your home
- a discount of 25% if all but one person living in your home falls into one of the groups of people who are disregarded
- a discount of 50% if everyone living in your home is disregarded
- a discount of 50% if you are required to live in accommodation provided by your employer under the terms of your conditions of employment
- an exemption if your property qualifies for it
To apply for a discount or disablement relief, you must contact the council tax service
Council tax support
If you are on a low income and have little savings, you may be entitled to council tax support.
Discounts and exemptions
If you are entitled to a discount or disablement relief, you may still get benefit on your reduced bill:
If we have given you a discount, disablement relief or an exemption, and your circumstances change, you must notify us within 21 days. If you do not you may have to pay a fine.
Please note that unless we make an error, it is not our policy to back date claims for discounts when you live alone.