Keep Active and Healthy in Your Free Time
Your free time is there for things you really like doing. Are there any ways you could add physical movement to the activities you already enjoy?
- Walk to meet your family and friends rather than take public transport or drive
- Add some bodyweight exercise like squats, stretches or star jumps while the TV ads play or whilst the food is cooking
- Jog or walk whilst listening to your favourite podcast
You could also try something new. You could use your time to take part in a structured sport or exercise class and let the coach or instructor take care of all of the planning.
View the following resources to see some of the available activities in the borough:
Keep Active and Healthy at Home
Moving our bodies and exercising is very important and should be a part of our daily lives. Sometimes it is easier or more comfortable to move more in the privacy of your own home.
No need to go out or face bad weather, or feel embarrassed, you could even keep active in your pyjamas!
Making mini active challenges that the whole family can do is a way you can keep each other motivated to stay active at home.
- You could do a daily stair walking challenge
- Adding music when you’re doing household chores, dancing to your favourite music can pick up your heart rate, it can increase the effort you put into the chores and help the time pass quicker
- You could challenge the kids or family to a dance-off
- Or you could do a sit to stand challenge before meal times.
View the following resources to see how you can keep active at home:
Keep Active and Healthy at Work or when Studying
Adding activity to places you go to everyday is a great way to form active habits, clear your mind and refresh your energy levels.
Many of us spend a large part of our day sitting. Spending less time sitting down is one of the best things we can do for our health.
There are many organised sessions that take place before work, during lunch breaks or after work. Many of these organised sessions have facilities that have changing rooms and showers to help you get back to work easily.
If time is still an issue, here a few ways you can fit some more activity time around things you may already be doing:
- Take the stairs rather than the lift to another floor
- Use toilets and printers that are further away or on another floor
- Try standing or walking meetings with your colleagues
- Complete a chair based workout that you could do whilst at your desk or when taking a break from driving.
Keep Active and Healthy when Travelling
Cycling, walking, scootering, using public transport all help to fit active time in while getting to your destination. Getting from A to B is important, but is active travel something you could add to your daily routine?
Rather than putting up with traffic, petrol costs and trying to find parking. Remove all of those stresses and try a different way by active travel.
- Set yourself a daily or weekly goal in steps or minutes walking
- Walk to work or half way to work three times or more during the week
- Take the stairs instead of the lift