Introduction to the Chalcots Project Director
My name is Astrid Kjellberg-Obst. I would like to introduce myself as the dedicated project director for the works at the Chalcots.
As you will be aware, the works carried out so far have focused on the communal areas of the blocks and fire stopping inside flats. The next stage of the works is a complex major construction project focusing on the outside of the building, ensuring that all aspects (cladding, windows, curtain wall) provide the highest standards of safety and comfort for everyone living on the Chalcots Estate.
My aim is to install an A1 fire rated cladding system with improved insulation, to help future proof the buildings for changes in climate and reduce the need for maintenance with a new roof, high quality windows and curtain wall, and take the opportunity to work with residents and the local community to make the estate and surrounding area an attractive and vibrant place, with lasting positive impact for everyone who visits, lives or works on the estate.
Your project team
I have started to recruit for your onsite project team. The team will bring together project activity with day-to-day housing services, and will include officers with expertise including:
- quality assurance
- engineering and surveying
- asset management and repairs
- housing management and estate services
- communications and engagement
- community development.
Your team will make sure the project delivers for you in terms of quality, timeliness and costs and most importantly ensure that what is important to you is reflected in the way we do things.
Update on design
As you know, we are currently still in the design stage of works. We need to finish some surveys and tests before we can finalise the design for each block. This is likely to be ready in September 2019.
Once we have this, we will finalise the detailed programme of works and submit a planning application for the works in October 2019.
After we have submitted our planning application and made any further changes required by planning, we can finalise and share the detailed works programme for each block and for each flat with residents individually. This is likely to be in November 2019. This will include the radiator you have chosen for your own home.
Meanwhile, we will share with you as soon as possible the plans for site set up, scaffolding arrangements and impact on shared communal spaces like carparks, playgrounds and bikesheds. There are a number of works aspects that can start sooner as these do not require planning. This includes work to the roofs and the brickwork on the lower floors. We will of course share the plans with you as soon as we can.
Talking to us
It is important to me to ensure transparency and to always share information in a clear way to avoid confusion.
Wates set up coffee mornings as an opportunity for you to speak to them and find out more about the works in an informal setting, alongside the ‘getting to know you and your home’ visits. As our residents’ personal information is so important to us, we have delayed the getting to know you visits until we are confident that the data is collected in a safe way.
Residents have told us that the coffee morning sessions are currently not that helpful, so we have decided to pause them for now and work out how we best communicate with residents and the community in future. If you have any ideas about how you’d like us to communicate with you please email firstname.lastname@example.org
In the next few weeks, we will be:
- converting an empty property in each block into a show flat so that you can see what the works are likely to look like in your home
- working on the final design ahead of submitting our planning application. As Blashford has a different structure to the other blocks we will need to do separate designs for Blashford, which will happen between four and six weeks after the other four blocks.
- working on programme plans for the preparation works (setting up the site) and the actual works on the block
- finalising the fire safety strategy during and after the works
- working with the telecommunications company to plan works around the masts and minimise disruption
- working with Chalcots residents and other local people to plan events for sharing information and hearing your views about the works, as well as activities to benefit the whole community
- working with Wates on the ‘getting to know you and your home’ appointments – these are a really important way for us to find out about your circumstances, get our approach right in your home, and minimise disruption for you
I look forward to working with you over the coming months – please check the fortnightly Chalcots Newsletter for further updates and visit camden.gov.uk/chalcotsestate to find out more about the current programme of surveys and tests by block.