On this page:
Points are only awarded for a medical condition if you can demonstrate that:
- it is made worse by your current housing
- a move to another property will improve it
If you receive PIP or DLA, it does not mean that you are automatically eligible for medical points. A Health and Housing Occupational Therapist will assess your individual case.
If your current home can be improved or adapted to meet your health needs at a reasonable cost, then you will not be awarded medical points. You should contact social services to find out if you can receive support to have:
- equipment fitted in your home such as grab rails, a stair lift, or ramps
- assistive technology installed such as a Careline alarm or door and bed sensors
You will need to complete the medical section as part of the housing register application. Remember – please provide as much detail as possible.
Step 1: Health and disability questionnaire
Depending on your medical condition, we may send you a medical questionnaire. This will help us understand if you require a certain type of home in view of your health condition.
Please complete the questionnaire and return it within 21 days. You should include supporting information from health professionals that confirm your diagnosis and treatment. Do not send hospital or doctor appointment letters or prescriptions.
Step 2: Assessment of your condition
Our health and housing advisors assess the information that you have provided about your medical condition. They use this to make their recommendation, however they do not:
- carry out physical examinations
Your points may change to reflect the assessment by the medical officer.
The Health and Housing Occupational Therapist may make a recommendation to help improve your living conditions. An example would be a wheelchair accessible flat. This could include properties accessed by a lift as well as properties on the ground floor.
We aim to assess all medical questionnaires within 21 days. However, due to the number and complexity of some of the requests it may take up to 6 weeks.
While we assess your medical questionnaire, you will not be able to bid for a property. We want to make sure everyone bids with the correct number of points.
Based on the information that you provide, the system will automatically award some medical points.
Step 3: Awarding points
We will award:
- 500 points if you need urgent rehousing because your medical condition and housing circumstances are having a serious impact on your health and wellbeing
- 150 points if you need rehousing because your medical condition and housing circumstances are having an impact on your health and wellbeing