Improving the local community

Tenant and resident associations (TRAs) are groups of local people from a housing estate or block of flats, working together to improve their community.

Find a TRA in your area

If there isn't a TRA in your area you can set up a new one.

Setting up a new TRA

Some of the advantages of starting a TRA include:

  • being recognised as a formal body by the council and housing related services
  • having access to all levels of the council
  • getting access to grants to support your activities
  • joining a District Management Committee (DMC), with access to funding opportunities
  • keeping informed about developments on your estate

To set up a new TRA, you will need to:

  • have the support of tenants and leaseholders in the area you wish to represent
  • write a constitution to govern how your group is run
  • make sure that the membership of your group is representative of the area
  • have a council-tenant majority on your committee - required for DMC voting in Gospel Oak and Kentish Town

Start-up guidance

A variety of documents are available to help set up your TRA, including:

Planning and developing your group

Our quality framework guide (PDF, 21KB) explains how to develop your group, plan activities and assess training needs. The quality framework self-assessment (pdf) (PDF, 84KB) includes questions to help identify your strengths and areas for improvement. 

If you achieve a high score, you may wish to share your experiences with other groups. Send your completed self-assessment to the Tenant Participation Team.

Training and capacity building

We can provide a range of training courses and workshops. To find out more, contact the Tenant Participation Team with your requirements.

Financial support

Grants are available to help with running costs. Read the grants information (PDF, 75KB) and application forms for:

Funding is also available from your local DMC

Registering your TRA

By registering your TRA, you will receive formal recognition from the council and your local District Management Committee (DMC), and benefit from engagement and funding opportunities.

Register your TRA 

You can also contact the Tenant Participation Team or your neighbourhood housing officer for advice.