Apply for Building Regulations
An application for building control must be made before any building work starts.
For works costing more than £500,000, contact our technical support team on 020 7974 2363. Useful information may be found on the Planning Portal website.
Which application should I submit?
Submit an application for Building Regulations for:
- major and minor building works
- regularisation - this is works complete prior to making an application
For demolition work, submit a Demolition Notice under section 80 of the London Building Acts1:
For a special or temporary structure, submit an application under The London Building Acts 1930-1982:
1: A demolition notice is required for the removal of any building or extension under section 80 of the Building Act 1984, except for:
- when a demolition order is made under the Housing Act 1957
- the demolition of an internal part of an occupied building
- the demolition of a building with a volume of 50m3 or less
- the demolition of a greenhouse, conservatory, shed or prefabricated garage
The applicant should also ensure that:
- The occupiers of adjacent buildings have been informed, and compliance with the Party Wall Act has been achieved. Further information on the Party Wall Act
- The gas supply for the building has been terminated
- The electricity supply for the building has been terminated
- The water supply for the building has been terminated
- Drainage from the building/site will be sealed
- How the main building will be secured following completion