What is the difference between a Building Notice, Full Plans and Regularisation application?

Find out what is the difference between a Building Notice, Full Plans and Regularisation application on the Planning Portal website.

What happens next?

Advice when attending a pre-application meeting

  • Architectural drawings are protected under Copyright Law. It is therefore advisable that you come equipped to take notes, make sketches and/or tracing when attending pre-application meetings.
  • Drainage files and some old GLC files are kept at the local studies and archive centre.
  • If you are not the owner/freeholder please obtain and attach a statement from the same giving permission for you to view any files retrieved in an archive search request.  The form may be used for that purpose by obtaining the freeholder’s signature in the space provided.

When can building work start?

Work can start 2 days after submitting an application (for minor residential jobs). There is space for indicating the commencement date on the Building Regulation form. If the date of commencement is not known at the time of application, then you will need to confirm this in writing before you start.


Please let us know if building work stops for any reason and when it restarts.


Site inspections

Buildings will be inspected at various stages of construction to ensure the technical requirements of the building regulations are met. Any matters concerning non-compliance with regulations will be discussed.

Statutory inspection of foundations, drains and resistance against moisture provisions are mandatory.

Normally, site visits can be arranged for the next day following a request and are generally carried out between the hours of 11am to 3pm.

Completion certificate

A completion certificate will be provided when the work is finished providing you have requested one, all the appropriate certificates have been received and all Building Regulation charges have been paid.

Planning Permission

Even if your plans are passed or your proposals are exempt from Building Regulations, planning permission may still be required.

Further advice on Planning Permission can be found on our Planning pages. 

Health and Safety responsibilities

For certain building works, you may have health and safety responsibilities and duties under the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 (CDM 2015). The regulations help ensure that a construction project is safe to build, safe to use and safe to maintain.

Further information can be found on the Health and Safety Executive website

Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 responsibilities

Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 responsibilities

You must deposit plans for any building work at premises controlled under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. Designated uses include office, shop, factory or hotel.

Once you have deposited plans, we will consult the fire authority. However, if you intend on altering a building, then you must also liaise directly with the fire authority. 2 copies of the plan must be submitted with the building regulation application form and the appropriate plan charge.

A decision will be made within 5 weeks, however, more complex proposals may take up to 2 months.

If your plans are rejected, this does not prevent you from starting work on the site. If you require the plans to be passed, for example to secure funds from a bank, you will need to re deposit them. No plan charge is payable in respect of plans redeposited for substantially the same work.