Adoption of revised local area requirements

We adopted revised local area requirements in July 2018 and are currently in the process of updating this guidance page. Check the list of Local Area Requirements July 2018 for the most up to date information before submitting your application.

You will need to send photographs with your planning application where:

  • your proposed development involves the demolition of an existing property or structure
  • you are carrying out work on a listed building or a property located in a conservation area.

The information below provides further details about:

  • when photographs are required
  • how these should be submitted to us
  • where further information can be found.

When are photographs required?

Photographs should be sent with applications for developments that involve:

  • the demolition of an existing property or structure
  • carrying out work on a listed building
  • carrying out work on a property located in a conservation area

What information should be included with photographs?

All photographs should:

  • be dated and numbered
  • cross-reference any related supporting documentation
  • show the existing property and the surrounding area
  • show where the proposed works/alterations will be undertaken by labelling, hatching or colour coding

How do I submit photographs?

If you apply for planning permission online using the Planning Portal, you will be given the opportunity to upload your photographs. This is after you have completed the relevant application forms.

Before uploading any files, please read our guidance notes for submitting electronic files with planning applications (PDF)

If you choose to submit a paper-based application instead, you will need to provide:

  • four copies of your set of photographs
  • four copies of the relevant application forms.

Where can I find out further information?

For further information on submitting photographs, please contact the planning advice and information service.