Severe financial hardship  

If you cannot afford the essentials such as food, energy bills or housing, you may be eligible for a payment from the following funds: 

Search for grants 

Check if you're eligible for a grant using the Turn2us grants search. A grant is money that is given and does not need to be paid back. 

Budgeting loan 

If you receive benefits, check if you're eligible to apply for a Budgeting Loan from the government. You only need to pay back the amount that you borrow. Repayments are taken from your benefits. 

Flexible Support Fund  

If you are looking for a job, ask your local Jobcentre Plus advisor about the Flexible Support Fund. This can cover: 

  • travel expenses 
  • training courses 
  • clothing for interviews 

Support if you have children, or if you’re pregnant 

If you receive certain benefits, you may be eligible for a £500 Sure Start Maternity Grant from the government. Check if you’re eligible and apply for a Sure Start Maternity Grant