Skip to main content

Conservation areas

This is the improved Camden website. Tell us what you think.

Conservation areas

We have 40 conservation areas covering around 50 per cent of the borough.

The information below will help you find out : 

  • what conservation areas are 
  • where they are found within the borough  
  • what they mean when carrying out work on properties in these areas. 

What are conservation areas? 

Conservation areas are areas of land that have been designated or labelled as being of special architectural or historic interest.  

Conservation area designation recognises the importance of the quality of the area as a whole. It also protects individual buildings and trees which make a positive contribution to the character and appearance of the area. Conservation areas are not created to stop future development. They ensure that new buildings fit in with the existing special character of the area. 

Conservation areas in Camden

List of conservation areas in Camden, including their appraisals and management strategies.

Check whether an address is in a conservation area

(Click the map or enter a full street name or postcode)

Do I need permission to carry out work on a property in a conservation area? 

To make alterations to, or demolish, a property  in a conservation area, you will usually need planning permission first. 

Further guidance on whether planning permission is needed is on our Do I need planning permission? web pages.   

In many of our conservation areas Article 4 directions are in place. These remove permitted development rights. 

You must give us 6 weeks’ notice before any tree work is carried out in a conservation area. This applies to any tree with a trunk diameter of more than 75mm at a height of 1.5 metres. 

How do I report demolition or work on a property without permission in conservation area? 

Demolition of a property in a conservation area without planning permission is against the law. If you think a property, or part of, is being demolished or altered without our permission,  report it immediately.

Who represents our conservation areas? 

Conservation Area Advisory Committees (CAACs) represent our conservation areas. These include local residents and businesses as well as representatives of local historical, civic and amenity groups. Due to their local knowledge, these committees are a useful source of local advice on planning and conservation issues.

We consult them on:

  • applications that may affect the character or appearance of a conservation area
  • drawing up conservation and design policies throughout the borough. 

Contact conservation area advisory committees

Who can I contact to find out more?

Contact the planning advice and information service