Safeguarding children is something where we all have a role to play - parents, carers, residents and professionals, especially those who work with children and young people. If you are worried about a child or young person please call 020 7974 3317 (out of hours: 020 7974 4444). If you think a child is in immediate danger you should call the police on 999.
You don’t have to be absolutely certain about your suspicions - if you have a feeling that something’s not right, talk to your local children’s social care team who can look into it.
CAF referrals by professionals
The common assessment framework (CAF) is a standard approach for professionals to assess children and their families, to enable any additional needs they may have to be identified early and to help services respond in a more co-ordinated and integrated way.
When a professional is concerned about a child or young person’s progress and identifies additional needs that cannot be met by universal services, they will use a CAF referral form - also known as an eCAF when completed online.
In Camden, eCAF referrals are accessed via the Mosaic case management system. Existing Mosaic users can access the CAF referral via their usual Mosaic logins. Professionals, who are not Mosaic users can use the CAF referral form here to make referrals.
Camden’s learning and development service offers training in how to use eCAF, which practitioners must attend before they can have access to it. We would encourage you to do so. However, for those professionals not already on the Mosaic system who need to make a referral, you can download a CAF form here, fill it in and email it to us at:
- Email the CAF form via the MASH secure email address (you need an account with a secure email provider, such as CJSM, to do this)
- Or password protect the completed form and email it to LBCMASHadmin@camden.gov.uk (non-secure email address)
- For urgent child protection referrals (which must be confirmed in writing within 48 hours) or to make a general enquiry and speak to a social worker, please phone 020 7974 3317 (out of hours: 020 7974 4444).
- If you are an eCAF user and are having trouble logging onto your Mosaic account or need a new password, please contact Camden's IT service desk on 020 7974 4321.
Getting consent for a referral
Before making a referral, professionals should tell the parent or carer that a referral is being made and seek their consent - except where there are clear child protection concerns, when a referral can be made without parental consent.
How to book eCAF training
- Camden Council staff should please book via the L&D Hub icon on your desktop
- School staff should please book via Camden Learning
- Staff from other organisations in Camden should please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7974 2821.
Guidance for professionals
Guidance for parents