You will have to include an un-redacted affordable housing financial viability assessment with your planning application if:
- your application does not fully meet policy requirements for affordable housing
- and the justification is on the grounds of financial viability.
The information below provides further details about:
- when an affordable housing financial viability assessment is needed
- what information this document should include
- how to submit it to us
- where you can find further information
When is an affordable housing financial viability assessment needed?
You should send an un-redacted affordable housing financial viability assessment with any application that doesn't fully meet affordable housing policy. This is where the justification is on the grounds of financial viability. This includes applications that don't fully meet policy requirements to provide self-contained housing as part of a mix of uses.
When preparing the assessment, you should remove any personal data you do not want published on our website.
We will arrange an independent audit of your assessment for which a fee is payable. You must complete section C of the Independent Audit of Viability form (Word doc) and submit with your application.
What information should be included in an affordable housing financial viability assessment?
The assessment should show you have provided affordable housing as fully as possible. The assessment should:
- provide a residual land value
- include a benchmark land value against which the viability of the development can be assessed
- include evidence to support all values and costs in the assessment, including the benchmark land value
- identify and justify all the things assumed in the viability assessment model
- provide a viability assessment model that will stand up to full scrutiny by the Council and its advisors.
How do I submit an affordable housing financial viability assessment?
If you apply for planning permission online using the Planning Portal, you can upload your affordable housing financial viability assessment. This is after you have completed the relevant application forms.
Before uploading any files, please read our guidance notes for submitting electronic files with planning applications (PDF).
Where can I find out further information?
- National Planning Policy Framework
- National Planning Practice Guidance on Viability
- Camden Local Plan policies DM1, H2, H4, and H5
- Relevant Neighbourhood Plans
- Camden Planning Guidance on Housing
- Mayor’s Housing and Viability SPG
- or contact the duty planner