Skip to main content

Advertisements and signs and planning permission

This is the improved Camden website. Tell us what you think.

Advertisements and signs and planning permission

Do I need advertisement consent?

The national advertisement regulations control the display of advertisements and signs. This includes shop signs, estate agents boards, hoardings and flags. If you intend to display an outdoor advertisement or sign, you may need to apply for advertisement consent. There are certain types of signs which do not need consent. They have what is known as deemed consent rights.

Outdoor advertisements and signs: a guide for advertisers will help you understand whether you need to apply for advertisement consent.

If your property is a listed building (or part of), you must apply for listed building consentfor this.

Where can I find further information?

For advice on the design and placing of advertisements:

For further information on estate agent boards, see our page on estate agent boards.

Am I likely to get advertisement consent?

To find out whether your proposal is likely to be accepted, you can apply for pre-planning application advice.

How do I apply?

You can apply via the national planning portal. To find out what information is needed with your application, see making a planning application.

Still not sure whether you need advertisement consent?

If you need further advice about whether you need planning permission, contact planning advice and information.