The information below provides further details about:
- when a transport assessment is needed
- what information this document should include
- how to submit it to us
- where further information can be found.
When is a transport assessment needed?
You should send transport assessments with applications for major developments that could impact the transport system in the surrounding area. For example, changes of use or extensions to places of worship, educational buildings and community facilities.
What information should be included in a transport assessment?
A transport assessment should include the following information:
- a description and analysis of the existing transport conditions
- details of the expected impact of the proposed development on the local transportation system. This includes economic, environmental and social impacts
- details of the proposed approach to limit the expected impact of the proposed development on the local transportation system
- details of existing and proposed journeys to and from the proposed development site by all modes of transport. This is both by vehicles and pedestrians
- a construction management plan
- a travel plan outlining the measures that will be put in place. This is to improve access to public transport and reduce the need for parking at the proposed development site
- details of proposed loading areas, arrangements for manoeuvring, servicing and parking should cross reference any scale drawings and plans
The scope of the transport assessment should reflect:
- the size of the proposed development
- the extent of the expected implications on the transport system.
How do I submit a transport statement?
If you apply for planning permission online using the Planning Portal, you will be given the opportunity to upload your transport assessment. This is after you have completed the relevant application forms.
If you choose to submit a paper-based application instead, you will need to provide:
- four copies of your transport assessment
- four copies of the relevant application forms.
Where can I find out further information?
For further information on preparing and submitting a transport assessment, please see the links below:
- Planning Policy Guidance 13: Transport (Communities and Local Government)
- Guidance on Transport Assessments (Department of Transport)
- Transport Assessment Best Practice Guidance (Transport for London)
- Camden Planning Guidance (Transport assessment and travel plans)
- contact the planning advice and information service.