We are not currently accepting postal applications due to the Health Protection (Coronavirus Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020.
All applications should be made online, where they will be processed according to the relevant legislation.
Any queries should be directed to the Licensing Team on 020 7974 4444.
Apply for a licence
You need a licence to place tables and chairs on the public highway for eating and drinking activities. It can take up to 2 months to get a licence if representations are received to your application.
Before you start
An annual licence costs £486.67 per new application plus £45 per chair. Applications must be made by email. To make an application, please ensure you follow the below checklist:
- Read the guidance notes
- Fill in the tables and chairs licence application form
- Provide a telephone number in your email so that we may contact you to take payment for the application. Fees are £486.67 for a new application, or £429.54 for a renewal application, plus £45 per chair.
- Provide scaled plans of where you wish to place the table and chairs – include any local amenities such as street furniture, trees or private forecourts
- Provide a copy of your liability insurance
- Send everything to: firstname.lastname@example.org
What happens next?
Applications go through a 28 day consultation period. This includes applications to renew or change a licence.
We will ask local residents, businesses and council officers if they have any objections to the application. If no objections are made, we will send you your licence.
When objections are made, we send them to you and ask you to comment on them. We then discuss your application in a monthly panel meeting. We will either:
- give you permission for the licence to go ahead
- give you permission but make amendments to your licence – for example a smaller number of chairs
- reject the licence application
If your application is rejected, we will contact you to arrange a refund of £45 per chair. The rest of the fee is non-refundable.
If the application is rejected or you are not satisfied with the conditions of the licence, you can contact the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators for further advice.
Renew or change a licence
A licence lasts for 12 months. To renew you must apply at least 6 weeks before it expires. We will contact you 8 weeks before your licence expires.
- £429.54 plus £45 per chair to renew a licence
- £486.67 plus £45 for each extra chair when changing a licence
Renew or change a tables and chairs licence
Search for licences
You can search for licences issued since January 2009:
Use our tables and chairs planning search to view and comment on applications
You can search by:
- Application number – this is the easiest way
- Site address – select table and chairs as the application type
To object to a licensing application, add a comment to the application.
Reporting non-compliance / complain about a licensed premises
If you are reporting non-compliance, or making a complaint in relation to a premises' use of tables and chairs on the public highway, please email: email@example.com.
To help us properly investigate your concerns, please ensure the following information is provided in your email:
- name of premises
- address of premises
- details of non-compliance / the complaint, providing dates and times
- your contact telephone number, should we need to contact you to gather more information
Sign up for email alerts
When you sign up to receive alerts, you will be able to choose alerts for:
- the entire London borough of Camden,
- one or more wards in the borough, and
- licensing applications based on their current status
Sign up to email alerts to be notified of applications in your area
You will need a valid email address to sign up. If you don’t have one already you can get one for free from services such as Google, Yahoo or Microsoft.