Adoption of revised local area requirements
We adopted revised local area requirements in July 2018 and are currently in the process of updating this guidance page.
Please check the list of Local Area Requirements July 2018 for the most up to date information before submitting your application.
Sustainable Drainage Systems (SuDS) are a requirement for all major planning applications, unless demonstrated to be inappropriate. This requirement is set out under the Ministerial Statement by the Secretary of State on 18 December 2014.
What are the requirements?
A sustainable drainage system is designed to reduce surface water run-off rates and volumes, improve water quality and increase biodiversity where they can be provided at surface level.
We will be requiring major developments to achieve greenfield run-off rates and where reasonably practicable to constrain run-off volumes to greenfield run-off volumes for the one in 100 year six-hour event. Greenfield run-off is the rate that water flows over land which has not been previously developed.
To demonstrate compliance with Camden and National Planning Policy we strongly encourage major developments to follow the advice note below and submit the drainage pro-forma below at the time of validation:
Development should follow the drainage hierarchy in policy 5.13 of the London Plan below:
- store rainwater for later use
- use infiltration techniques, such as porous surfaces in non-clay areas
- attenuate rainwater in ponds or open water features for gradual release
- attenuate rainwater by storing in tanks or sealed water features for gradual release
- discharge rainwater direct to a watercourse
- discharge rainwater to a surface water sewer/drain
- discharge rainwater to the combined sewer
Advice and evidence
Before an application is made applicants are advised to follow National Planning Practice Guidance and Non-Statutory Technical Standards. Reference should also be made to Camden's Strategic Flood Risk Assessment (SFRA) 2014 (section 7, Sustainable Drainage Systems):
- download: Camden SFRA 2014 (PDF)
- download: Camden SFRA 2014, updated figure 6 ‘Local Flood Risk Zones’ (PDF)
The Council’s approach to water is set out in Core Policy CS13 and Development Policy DP23 of the Council’s planning policies. Further advice on SuDS is provided in Camden Planning Guidance 3 'Sustainability'.