Birkbeck, University of London, located in Bloomsbury, is offering two scholarship places to Camden residents for any of their undergraduate level courses starting in October 2021.
Birkbeck is different: their classes are held in the evening, so your days are free - to study, work, volunteer or just do your own thing. To find out more about the university, courses and events, please visit their website at www.bbk.ac.uk.
All students will need to apply to the course they intend to study at Birkbeck, University of London concurrent to the scholarship application process.
Two full scholarships are available for the following undergraduate courses at Birkbeck starting in 2021/22:
To be eligible for consideration for the Camden scholarship, you must meet all four of the primary criteria (with evidence supplied) and two or more of the additional criteria below:
Primary eligibility criteria – must meet all four:
- Resident of the borough of Camden whose nationality or residency status meets student finance criteria.
- Household income of less than £25,000 a year (this will be checked)
- Must not currently be at university in the UK or overseas
- Must not already have a full undergraduate degree from either a UK or an overseas university (e.g. BA, BSc, LLB)
Additional criteria – applicants must meet at least two:
- Have a disability
- Be over 21 years old
- Have limited or poor prior education attainment (for example, left school with no qualifications, low grades at GCSE)
- Have no qualifications higher than Level 2 (i.e. O Levels, GCSE or equivalent)
- Have been out of formal education for nine years or more.
- Be from a Black, Asian and minority ethnic background
- Hold non-traditional university-entry qualifications (i.e. Access to HE Diploma; Intermediate, Advanced or BTEC Apprenticeship, BTEC First, BTEC National or equivalent)
- Hold refugee or humanitarian protection status
- Be a single parent / in receipt of child benefit
- Be a care leaver
- Be in receipt of means-tested benefits or living with parents in receipt of means-tested benefits
Applicants will also need to show, through their personal statement:
- Evidence of why now is the right time for them to go to university
- Understanding of how the course will help them with their future plans and why Birkbeck is the right university for them
- Evidence of recent preparation activities for university and commitment to success
- Inclination for volunteering/community engagement in Camden
- Awareness of demands and what support they might need to enable them to succeed on the course
- Consideration of the financial impact of studying at university on living costs and evidence that this scholarship would remove a significant financial barrier to study
Please see the FAQ document for further information.
To apply for the scholarship, please complete:
Send to email@example.com
The deadline for applications is midnight on Friday 25th June 2021.
All applicants will be notified of the outcome by W/C 5th July 2021 at the latest.
The Camden Scholarship 2021 application process is separate to the Birkbeck, University of London course application. All applicants will need to have completed both applications by the deadline of the Camden Scholarship 2021 process.
Help with university applications
Birkbeck has a number of resources to support prospective applications in preparing for university study, especially those returning to study after a break. Please see the following link or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information about upcoming events.
1. Register your interest through completing the form.
2. You will be contacted by the Inclusive Economy service who will discuss your circumstances and any support you may require. The Inclusive Economy service will also explain the next steps in making an application for the scholarship.
3. You will be sent the application pack for the scholarship and signposted to further support from Birkbeck.
4. You will need to make the application for your chosen course at Birkbeck alongside the scholarship application.
Return the Register of Interest form to email@example.com with the subject line ‘Birkbeck Scholarship’ to continue the process.