Skip to main content

Premises licence

This is the improved Camden website. Find out what's new.

Apply for a premises licence

Read the terms and conditions before starting your licence application.

You may need a premises licence if you want to:

  • sell or supply alcohol
  • provide entertainment such as live or recorded music, or dancing
  • sell hot food or drink between 11 pm and 5 am

You will have to pay a fee - the amount depends on the non-domestic rateable value of the venue.

Before you start

You will need:

  • to read the application guidance notes
  • a detailed plan of the venue
  • if you are selling or supplying alcohol, a consent form signed by the designated premises supervisor (DPS) - this can be you or another person, the DPS must have a personal licence

Apply for a premises licence

Apply as a resident

Apply as a business

What happens next?

After you apply, we will carry out a public consultation for 28 days. If we receive any objections, we will refer your application to a licensing panel hearing. Otherwise, we will grant your licence.

Make a variation to your licence

You can apply for a:

  • variation, such as increasing the hours you sell alcohol
  • minor variation, such as small changes to the premises layout or revisions, removals and additions of conditions.
  • application to vary a premises licence to specify an individual as designated premises supervisor (DPS)

You will have to pay a fee:

  • based on the rateable value of the venue for a variation
  • £89 for a minor variation
  • £23 variation of DPS

Apply to vary your premises licence

(you will need to log in or create a Business Account)

Update your licence details

You can:

  • update the name or address of the licence holder or designated premises supervisor (DPS)
  • change the name of the premises

You will have to pay a fee of £10.50.

Update your licence details

(you will need to login or create a Business Account)

Transfer your licence

How do I transfer a premises licence?

If the business is sold to a new owner, an application can be made to transfer the licence to that person under The Licensing Act 2003.

The new intended licence holder must apply to transfer the licence.

Please note that a transfer only changes the identity of the holder of the licence and does not alter the licence in any other way.

If the licensee wants to vary any of the licensing activities or conditions it will be necessary to apply for a variation of premises licence.

What I need to do?

The previous/current premises licence holder must complete the transfer consent form.
You will need to upload evidence of your right to occupy the premises. If you have not obtained consent then you need to show what steps you have taken to do this.

You need to upload evidence of your right to occupy the premises.  This could be a lease or sale agreement.

You will need to return the existing premises licence to us by post. The address will be provided upon completion of the application. Please note if you cannot return the licence you will have to pay an additional £10.50 for a copy of the license to be processed with this application.


Please note that that this process is only intended to change the identity of the holder (in other words a name change) and does not change the current licence in any way. If the new licensee wishes to vary the licence in any way then a new variation application needs to be completed.

To complete a new variation licence please go to “Make a variation to your licence “in this section.

You will have to pay a fee of £23.

Transfer your licence

(you will need to login or create a Business Account)

Read terms and conditions.

Business and Planning Act 2020

Temporary off-sale extension

The Business and Planning Act 2020 has been introduced to temporarily modify the Licensing Act 2003.

This will provide an automatic extension to existing premises licences that permit on-sales to be allow off-sales.

The new off- sale permissions will mirror existing on-sale permission subject to a cut off time of 23:00 or the closure time of an outside area, whichever is the earlier terminal hour. This modification will also suspend any licence conditions that restrict off-sales.

This permission is only given to business with a premises licence and they must not, within the last 3 years had:
•    a premises licence application for off sales refused
•    a variation application for off sales refused
•    a variation seeking to exclude off-sale permissions accepted
•    a premises licence varied or modified on review to exclude off sales.

You will need to ensure you check your premises licence prior to commencement and if clarity is needed then please email
This is a temporary modification and will be valid until 30th September 2021, after this date the permission will lapse.

This permission is available immediately to you.

It is not a requirement that you notify us that you intend to utilise this permission, we do recommend that you email to inform us where possible.


Temporary Off-sales Permission FAQs

Does the extension apply to outdoor areas?

Yes. The provisions in the Act will enable off-sales of alcohol in outside areas not covered by the premises licence.

Will all premises licences that currently only have permission for on-sales be given the new permission for off-sales?

Yes, apart from certain exemptions, as detailed in the previous section.

Is this off-sales permission permanent?

No, the provision exists until the 30th of September 2020, unless this period is extended by further regulations.

My licence has lapsed, been surrendered or is currently suspended. If steps are taken to bring the licence back into force, will the off-sales provision apply?

Yes, as long as the other criteria in relation to the provision of the off-sales have been met.

I recently obtained the licence, and do not know the history of the premises. How would I know if the provisions apply?

If you are in any doubt as to whether the off-sale provisions apply you should check with the licensing authority first by emailing

Do I need to amend the premises licence plans to show the additional areas where customers will now be consuming alcohol?

No, these areas will be using the off-sale provision, and as such do not have to be shown on the licence plan. However, you must ensure that the areas you do intend to use have the correct permissions to do so – such as a pavement licence for furniture on the public highway.

Can I apply to make the off-sales permission permanent?              

Yes. The provisions already exist under the Licensing Act 2003 to apply for a full variation to add off-sales. This can be done at any time, and no change has been made to this full variations procedure.

Can the off-sale provision be removed or amended by the Council before the 30th of September 2021?

Yes. The off-sale permission can be reviewed should problems arise at a venue where this is being provided. If deemed serious enough, the permission can be removed.

If I have conditions on the premises licence restricting off-sales for delivery, can I now ignore those conditions and make off-sale alcohol deliveries?

No, these conditions have been protected. If there are such conditions on a premises licence they must be adhered to. If these conditions are to be removed, a variation of the licence will have to be applied for.