What Play Streets are
Swap your car for a space hopper
Camden Council is inviting residents to apply to open their streets for play and fun this Car Free Day, being marked in London over the weekend of Friday 22 to Sunday 24 September 2023. London Play is giving away space hoppers and other equipment and can help you through the process of applying. It’s free, it’s easy and it’s a whole lot of fun! Visit www.londonplaystreets.org.uk or email email@example.com to find out more.
A Play Street is an event where a road is closed off to traffic for a few hours on a regular basis. This is so that children can have a safe space to play freely.
Play Streets are organised, managed and run by local communities themselves. The Council offers advice and organises the closure of the road to traffic.
- give children more opportunities to play in a safe space close to their homes.
- provide a chance for residents to come together and for everyone to get to know their neighbours.
- help children to be physically active and healthier, learn about their street and neighbourhood and have fun together.
Play Street locations currently in place in Camden:
- Rylands Road
- Asmara Road
- Rousden St
- Rochester Sq
- Oakford Road
- Charlton Kings Road
- Islip Street (Kentish Town School)
- Dartmouth Park Ave
- Narcissus Road
- Provost Road
- Islip St/Bartholomew Road
- Roderick Road
Great Ormond Street Hospital Play Street Video
On Clean Air Day in June 2019 Great Ormond Street Hospital held a play street event. Watch their inspiring video: