Report a noise problem

Use this service to report a problem with noise in your area.

The easiest way to stop noise can be to speak to the person causing it. They may not be aware that they are disrupting other people.

Before you start

If there is a threat of violence or harassment, call the police on 999.

Council tenants and leaseholders only: for neighbour noise between 6pm and 2am, call 020 7974 4444.

Report a noise problem

(you will need to log in, or create a Camden Account)

What will happen next

We will investigate the noise issue. We will contact you if we need more information.

For noise issues that affect many people, we will aim to respond within 3 hours. This includes things like car alarms and building alarms.

For other noise issues, we will respond within 10 working days.

Construction noise

Noise from construction is limited to:
  • 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday
  • 8am - 1pm on Saturday 
No noisy work should take place on Sundays or bank holidays. Exceptional work may be allowed outside of these times, when there is:
  • an emergency
  • a risk to public safety
Contractors must have permission for this.

How we deal with noise complaints

The government has produced guidance to explain how councils should deal with noise complaints.

This includes information on specific types of noise, including construction, alarms, and noise at night.

Read government guidance on how councils deal with noise complaints.

Types of noise we are not responsible for

Train or rail noise

Read guidance from Network Rail about noise on the rail network.

Aircraft noise

Read guidance from the Civil Aviation Authority about noise from aircraft.

Noise at work

Read guidance from the Health and Safety Executive about noise in your workplace.

Help for council tenants and leaseholders

If you’re a Camden Council tenant or leaseholder and you've reported a noisy neighbour, we can take action to enforce the Camden Council tenancy conditions or lease. We only do this as a last resort, when other options have been explored.

Contacting noisy neighbours

We usually make contact with the person causing the noise. If we cannot, it may be impossible for us to deal with your complaint successfully.

If your complaint is about low level domestic noise and more due to the structure of the building rather than unreasonableness of your neighbour, we might be unable to take action.  If uninsulated laminated flooring is the cause of the level of noise we can ask that this is replaced.

Sometimes there are complaints about the person who made the original complaint. Where it is not clear who is at fault, or a negotiated agreement between everyone is needed, we may offer mediation which can help this to happen. 

Reducing noise in your home

If someone has made a complaint about noise coming from your home, you can read about how to reduce noise in your home (PDF).

Noise diary

Keep a record of noise incidents using a noise diary for council tenants and leaseholders (PDF).

When noise nuisance continues we may need to consider court action. We need consistent, well-recorded evidence of noise to do this.  

The more evidence we have and the more witnesses willing to give evidence, the better chance we have of being able to take successful action.

Legal action

Formal action might be action against:

  • a tenant for breaking conditions in their tenancy agreement
  • a leaseholder for breaking conditions of their lease

Getting an injunction or an undertaking in court may be the most likely outcome. Breaching one of these can result in a fine or imprisonment. 

For serious noise nuisance cases caused by our tenants we will consider possession proceedings in court which could lead to their eviction. 

Antisocial behaviour support

If legal action becomes necessary you may need to give evidence in court. We can talk about the support available to you if you need it. 

If you need to attend court we can offer support through our antisocial behaviour support service (PDF).