We can help you purchase an instrument
When you want to buy an instrument for your child who is learning with the music service, we can help you to do that at a lower cost. You won’t have to pay VAT, and you can pay in interest-free instalments.
We can help you choose the right instrument, or you can choose for yourself.
The aim of the scheme is to enable the pupils learning an instrument through the Camden Music Service to purchase a suitable musical instrument at the best price.
This scheme, approved by HM Customs & Excise, enables us to recover the VAT on such instruments and to sell the instrument free of VAT to the pupil. A small admin charge is
payable on each purchase.
To qualify for the scheme:
- pupils must be in full-time education at a local education authority maintained school
- pupils must be receiving tuition within the Music Service Instrumental Teaching scheme by a Music Service instrumental teacher
- the instrument must be suitable for the child's needs (we suggest you ask your child's tutor for advice)
- the instrument must be 'portable' (so eg. pianos are exempt).
Applying to the scheme
If you would like us to purchase the instrument, you can apply to the musical instrument assisted purchase scheme online.
If you would prefer to visit a reputable music shop (particularly sensible if purchasing a more advanced and expensive instrument) you'll be able to try different instruments and find one that you like:
- tell the shop you intend to purchase under the Assisted Purchase Scheme
- get full details about the instrument together with the price
- ask for the name of someone we can contact at the shop together with address and telephone / fax numbers
- we will then make the purchase for you
- you will need to collect the instrument from the music service office
- we usually send you full details on how to pay once you have collected the instrument
Please read the following carefully
- On receipt of the application form we will contact you before sending a formal agreement.
- The instrument will remain the property of the London Borough of Camden until the full amount has been paid.
- You are responsible for insuring the instrument against loss or damage while it remains the property of the London Borough of Camden.
To purchase an instrument call us on 020 7974 7239 or