Joining the library
Anyone can join Camden libraries. It's free to join and to borrow books. To get started just fill in the online joining form through the link below.
When you have completed the form, the system will give you a temporary membership ID.
To borrow e-books, e-audio and e-magazines from our Digital library or to use our library computers or borrow books, you need to bring your:
- temporary membership number (starting CAM), and:
- photo ID and proof of your address to your nearest library (or bring two proofs of address if you don't have photo ID).
Join the library
For full details of library services during this period, see Changes to the library service
View the privacy notice about your library membership.
Proof of address and photo ID
We accept these as proof of address:
- Medical card
- A recent utility bill such as your gas, electric, water, telephone or council tax bill
- A recent bank statement
- Rent or tenancy agreement
We accept these as photo ID:
- Driving licence
- Security pass or work ID (with photo)
- Oyster or Freedom pass (with photo and name)
You can borrow up to:
- 25 books for 3 weeks (adults)
- 20 books for 3 weeks (young people and children)
- 8 audio books for 3 weeks
- 1 language course for 3 weeks (adults and young people)
- people over 60
- people with disabilities
- full time students
- people in receipt of earning related benefits
- audio books are free to concessionary groups
Children and young people under 18 are exempt from fines on books and reservation charges.
Books: free to borrow (see below for overdue charges)
Books on CD / Talking books: £1 (free)*
Language courses: £2.50
Reservations: free (limited to four at a time)
SELMS reservations: £3
Reservations requiring extended searches: £6.50
Renewal of items borrowed from British Library: £4.60
British Library item reservation: £13
Charges in brackets are concessionary rates
Books, talking books and language courses: 30p (15p) per day, up to maximum £5 per item.
Note: there is £5 in charges on your account, the system blocks you from renewing or borrowing more items.
Notifications of overdue items or reservations:
Printing and photocopier charges
PC printing black and white: 20p / colour: £1
Microform print: £1
Photocopy A3: 25p / A4: 15p
Replacement charge for lost, stolen or damaged library card (0-17 years are exempt): £2.25 (no concessions) *
Lost out of print book: £25 (children’s book: £10) *
Lost British Library item: £141.60
Lost adult or talking book: £10.30
Lost book from the youth (Y) section: up to £8.50
Lost Language pack(s): £21
Lost material – Inter-library loan: Set by supplying authority: Set by supplying authority
Charges for children and young people
Overdue books, toys, language courses, standard reservations, lost/stolen library cards: Children aged 0-11 (no charge) / Young people aged 12-17 (no charge)
Lost library items: Children aged 0-11 (no charge) / Young people aged 12-17 (up to £8.50)