Who gets free school meals
Children in reception, year 1 and year 2
All children in reception, year 1 and year 2 can get free school meals.
If you receive qualifying benefits you should complete the application form so that the school can receive extra funding.
If your child attends a nursery attached to a Camden primary school or a Camden run children’s centre then you should also apply for free school meals
Children in year 3 and above
If your child is in year 3 or above, you or your child must receive one of the following to apply for free school meals:
- Income Support
- Income-based Job Seeker's Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Universal Credit – your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including benefits)
- Child Tax Credit with a taxable income of no more than £16,190 and not in receipt of Working Tax Credit
- the Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit
- support from the National Asylum Support Service (NASS)
If you receive Working Tax Credit you will not be entitled to free school meals unless you have:
- stopped work in the last 4 weeks; or
- reduced your hours to less than 16 hours in the last 4 weeks
Applications must be made in the name of the person who is receiving the benefit.
Apply for free school meals
If your child attends a Camden school, you must apply to us, even if Camden is not your local authority.
Maria Fidelis School
If your child moves to a new school within Camden, and is eligible for free school meals, you should contact us and give details of the new school.
If your child moves to a school outside Camden, you should contact the new school or the local authority and ask how to apply for free school meals.
Contact us for free school meals advice