Who gets free school meals
Children in reception, year 1 and year 2
All children in reception, year 1 and year 2 can get free school meals.
You must apply so that the school receives extra funding.
If your child attends a nursery attached to a Camden primary school or a Camden run children’s centre then you should also apply for Free School Meals
Children in year 3 and above
If your child is in year 3 or above, you or your child must receive one of the following to apply for free school meals:
- Income Support
- Income-based Job Seeker's Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Universal Credit – your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including benefits)
- Child Tax Credit with a taxable income of no more than £16,190 and not in receipt of Working Tax Credit
- the Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit
- support from the National Asylum Support Service (NASS)
If you receive Working Tax Credit you will not be entitled to free school meals unless you have:
- stopped work in the last 4 weeks; or
- reduced your hours to less than 16 hours in the last 4 weeks
Applications must be made in the name of the person who is receiving the benefit.
You only need to apply once. Any child eligible for free school meals from 1 April 2018 will keep their free school meals eligibility until 31 March 2022, even if your circumstances change.