On this page:

Talk to your probation officer

If you're worried about becoming homeless, you need to tell your Probation Officer at least 56 days before your release date. They can make a homelessness referral on your behalf and work with our team to resolve your housing need before you are released. Do not wait until you're homeless.

Local connection to Camden

You need to have a local connection to Camden for us to be able to help you. Being in prison in Camden does not count as a local connection so please consider if you have:

  • close family or work in the area
  • lived in the area for 3 out of the last 5 years
  • lived in the area for 6 out of the last 12 months

How to contact us 

If you are homeless or at risk of being homeless, complete the homeless application form. This takes about 10 minutes.  

Make a homeless application 

If you do not have access to the internet, your Probation Officer can help by making a referral on your behalf.

If you are rough sleeping, Routes off the Streets can provide support including access to drug and alcohol treatment and mental health services. 

What happens next 

After completing the form, an advisor will contact you or your Probation Officer within 10 working days. They will assess your situation and ask you to provide documents such as a: 

  • passport or Home Office documents 
  • Section 21 notice or other information about why you are homeless 
  • medical assessment or medication information 
  • recent payslip or benefit payment 

Don't worry if you can’t find your documents straight away. It is more important that you have contacted us. 

Eligible for housing assistance 

If you have recourse to public funds and are homeless or at risk of being homeless within 56 days, this means that you are eligible for housing assistance. An advisor will work with you to agree a Personal Housing Plan. This includes the steps that Camden and you will take to end your homelessness.  

Please speak to your Probation Officer about the Community Accommodation Service (CAS2 and CAS3). They can refer you for accommodation and support from this Ministry of Justice funded scheme.

If we have reason to believe you are in priority need, we may provide emergency accommodation. This could include shared facilities and be: 

  • a hostel or hotel 
  • outside Camden 

We will provide this while we work with you to find longer-term housing. View the Homelessness Accommodation Policy 

Longer-term housing  

If you have served a custodial sentence within the past 12 months and are able to maintain an independent tenancy, you may be eligible for assistance from the Accommodation for Ex-Offenders (AfEO) scheme.

If you will struggle to manage a tenancy, we will work with you to achieve this. We can also help you to access supported accommodation if appropriate. 

We can support you to find longer-term housing. This will probably be a private rented property.  Our support includes: 

  • funding to cover the first month’s rent and deposit 
  • support to negotiate with landlords to achieve an affordable rent and advice and guidance around what’s affordable 
  • employment support 
  • tenant rights and responsibility guidance 

Rent in Camden is very expensive. Where possible we will work with you to find property options in or as near to Camden as we can. Our priority is to make sure that you can keep your tenancy in a property that meets your housing needs.  

Not eligible for housing assistance  

If you have no recourse to public funds this means that you are not eligible for benefits or housing assistance. If this is the case, an advisor will contact you in writing to explain this. They will also provide advice about other services that may be able to provide support.