About contaminated land and applying for a search
In common with many other countries the UK has a legacy of land contamination caused by industrial development and related practices.
Much land contamination has been present for long periods of time. Contaminated land can cause harm to human health, water supplies, natural habitats and property but not all contamination poses problems.
You can check if a property has been formally determined as contaminated land or if it has a previous industrial use using our historical land use search for free.
We have a procedure for dealing with more detailed enquiries about contaminated land.
Our charges are:
Environmental Contaminated Land Search (commercial) £144.00
Environmental Contaminated Land Search (residential) £110.00
If you would like us to search our records for a particular property you can place your request and pay online using our online form to search for contaminated land. You will be asked to provide your contact details, location of the site/address you are enquiring about and make the payment.
This covers the cost of time spent searching records and preparing the response. We aim to respond to your enquiry within 10 working days.
We search our records for information about contamination of the site and for past uses that may have involved contaminative processes.
We will try to respond to all of your questions apart from where you ask about complaints. We cannot reveal details of complaints unless they have been substantiated by service of a legal notice.
The following standard issues are addressed:
- location of landfill sites
- known sites of contaminated land on or adjoining the property
- known processes of contaminative potential on the site or adjoining premises.
- location of any nearby private water supplies
- nearby Part A processes controlled under the Environmental Protection Act 1990
- nearby Part B processes controlled under the Environmental Protection Act 1990
- complaints about environmental issues where substantiated through service of legal notice or prosecution
Other useful information sources for land use history in Camden include