Where a Healthy School Street is in place, vehicles are restricted for a limited time on school days.  

There are some exceptions to this restriction, but you will need to apply for an exemption. 

Who can apply 

You can apply for an exemption if you have: 

  • a vehicle registered to a property or businesses in the restricted area 
  • a Blue Badge and you require access to an address in the restricted area 
  • responsibility for a disabled pupil who is unable to walk, cycle or scoot to school
  • another exemption agreed with the Council 

For the 5 schools in the Neighbourhoods of the Future Scheme, there are also exemptions for pure electric vehicles (not hybrid vehicles) or zero emission capable taxis.  

Pure electric vehicles do not need to apply, but you do need to register a zero emission capable taxi. The exemption to these vehicles will finish at the end of the 2024-25 academic year and no other Healthy School Street schemes have this exemption. 

How to apply 

To register your vehicle for an exemption, you must complete our online application and provide evidence to support your claim 

It may take up to 5 working days to process your application. We will email you with confirmation once this has been done. 

You will need 

If you are a resident or business owner

Please provide a photo or scan of the V5 of the vehicle that you wish to register for an exemption. The vehicle must be registered to the person applying for the exemption and to an address within the restricted area. 

If you have a lease vehicle, please provide confirmation of the agreement with the hire company and a Council Tax bill as proof of address.

If you are unable to provide this information, please contact us before applying to discuss your situation.

If you are applying because of a disability

Please provide: 

  • your Blue Badge or proof of disability, for example a doctor’s letter
  • the reason you need access, if not attending school
  • a letter from the school confirming child’s attendance, if applicable 

If you have a zero-emission capable taxi

Please provide your V5 certificate.  

Exemption will only apply to the Neighbourhoods of the Future scheme. 

For a temporary or any other type of exemption

You must contact us first to discuss your requirements.

Apply for exemption