Seven Dials, Neal Street - Covent Garden
Nestling in Covent Garden’s north-west corner, Seven Dials retains its original star shape, first created in the early 1690s. Today, thanks to the efforts of the Seven Dials Trust, it is thriving.
Whitfield Gardens was once the site of a half-acre Burial Ground and before that a large pond called The Little Sea. London County Council acquired the site in 1894. A year later, it opened as a public space to relax away from the hustle and bustle of Tottenham Court Road.
Kilburn Grange Park
Kilburn Grange Park opened in 1913 on land that was once part of the Grange Estate. Surrounded by hedges and gardens, this large open grass space includes a children's playground, basketball court, outdoor gym and tennis courts.
Developed in the late 17th century by the 4th Earl of Southampton, Bloomsbury Square is one of London’s oldest squares. It was originally called Southampton Square.
This large paved area sits between Gordon Square and the UCL campus in Bloomsbury. Surrounded by iconic architecture, shops and eateries, it’s a popular spot for students and local workers alike.
Waterlow has ponds on three levels, tree lined walkways, an open-plan bandstand, playgrounds, a kitchen garden and tennis courts.
Britannia Junction - Camden Town
Situated outside Camden Town Tube, this large paved area is always busy with commuters, tourists and locals exploring the markets, zoo and shops.
Builder Thomas Cubitt developed the gardens in the 1820s on the estate of the Dukes of Bedford. The square’s name comes from the Marquess of Tavistock, a title given to the Dukes’ eldest sons.
Camden Square Garden
Rectangular in shape, Camden Square Garden runs parallel to busy Camden Road. There is a path running around and through the square, and it is a popular lunch and picnic spot. It also has a playground and dog walking area, with many trees.
Red Lion Square
Created by Nicholas Barbon in 1684, the square is named after the Red Lion Inn, a pub that once backed onto the square.
Brunswick Square Gardens was built in the grounds of the Foundling Hospital, an orphanage founded by Captain Thomas Coram in 1739.
Russell Square Gardens is named after the Earls and Dukes of Bedford. It was created when new streets were laid out by the 5th Duke in the gardens of his former home, Bedford House.
St George's Gardens
St George's Gardens opened in 1714 as one of the first burial grounds away from a church. The land was split into two and used by the nearby St George’s Bloomsbury and St George the Martyr churches. The park was damaged in World War II, but otherwise little has changed.
Great Queen Street
Sited on the corner of Drury Lane and Great Queen Street in Covent Garden, this flat paved square features bespoke stone benches.
Swiss Cottage Open Space
This medium-sized location was created in 2006 as part of the development of Swiss Cottage library, leisure centre and Hampstead Theatre.