Booklet for parents and a short guide - in English and Somali
Starting secondary school is a big change for parents / carers and children.
It is important your child works hard, makes friends and can enjoy a range of activities. This will help them to develop the skills and responsibilities for their future.
Secondary school will be bigger and further from home than primary school, but your involvement is still important.
This booklet and our short guide - available below in both English and Somali - will help you support your child with secondary school.
- Life in Secondary School - ENGLISH
- Life in Secondary School short guide - ENGLISH
- Life in Secondary School - SOMALI
- Life in Secondary School short guide - SOMALI
You can also watch a video version of the guide, read by a Somali speaker - in short clips:
- 1. Introduction to 'Life in Secondary School: A Guide for Parents'
- 2. Difference Between Primary School and Secondary School
- 3. What is expected of the parent when their child is joining secondary school?
- 4. Life in Secondary School - How Can I Help My Child?
- 5. How can I help my child study at home?
- 6. Helping your child to get ready for learning
- 7. How can I help my child at school?
- 8. What if English is not my first language?
- 9. School Attendance - Life in Secondary School
- 10. Disciplinary actions - suspension and exclusion
- 11. School Clubs and Activities
- 12. Child Safety - Life in Secondary School
- 13. Online Safety - Life in Secondary School
- 14. Mental Health - Life in Secondary School
- 15. Students with Special Educational Needs
- 16. More Information and Resources