Skip to main content

Voter ID at Polling stations

This is the improved Camden website. Tell us what you think.

Voter ID at Polling stations

Voters are now required to show photographic identification at polling stations before they are given a ballot paper.

Expired photo identification will be accepted so long as the photo remains a good enough likeness from which to identify the elector.

Proxy voters will need to show their own photographic identification (not that of the elector they are voting on behalf of).

What identification will be acceptable?

Electors must bring a suitable form of photographic ID to their polling station. The most commonly used ID include:

  • passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state or a Commonwealth country
  • photographic driver’s licence issued by the UK, Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or an EEA state (including provisional)
  • European Economic Area (EEA) photographic ID Card
  • UK Biometric Residence Permit
  • an identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards Scheme hologram  (PASS card)*
  • a Blue Badge
  • Oyster 60+ Card
  • a concessionary travel pass funded by HM Government or local authority.

GOV.UK has a full list of ID that will be accepted

Only original documents are accepted; scanned images, electronic versions or copies will not be accepted - however expired documents are accepted if the photo is still a current likeness.

What if I do not have any photo ID?

If you do not have any of the accepted photo ID, and you want to vote at the polling station, you will need to apply for a free Voter Authority Certificate. This is a free photographic identification document specific for the purposes of voting. 

The application process requires you to provide a photo of yourself, your national insurance number and date of birth.

Voters who do not produce a Voter Authority Certificate, or valid identification will not be allowed to vote on polling day.

Please do not apply for a Voter Authority Certificate if you already have an acceptable form of ID such as a passport or driving licence.

Paper applications are available for electors who cannot go online.

Apply for a Voter Authority Certificate

Voter ID FAQs

What if my appearance has changed on my photo ID?

If you look totally different on your ID, we recommend that you apply for Voter Authority Certificate before the deadline to prevent you from not being able to vote.

Can I use a poll card as ID?

No, it must be an approved form of photographic ID.

Can I get a Voter Authority Certificate on the day?

No, applications for Voter Authority Certificate will not be accepted after the deadline.  So that it is received in time, please completed your application as soon as possible if you need Voter Authority Certificate.

My name is different on my photo ID to the electoral register, what should I do?

If in any doubt about whether your identification will be accepted, please contact 

I don’t want to risk losing my ID, can I bring a photocopy?

Whatever form of ID you bring must be the original, no copies or electronic versions will be accepted.

What if I lose my Voter Authority Certificate?

We recommend you keep your Voter Authority Certificate as safe as you would any other form of official identification. However, if this happens please contact 

Can I use an expired driving licence or passport?

Yes, as long as the photo is still a good likeness.

My passport and driving licence show the wrong address, is this ok?

Yes, as long as the photo is still a good likeness. The photo ID is to check your identity not your address.

I would like my identity checked in private, is this possible?

Yes, all polling stations will have procedures in place for electors who wish to have their identity checked in private.