We adopted revised local area requirements in July 2018 and are currently in the process of updating this guidance page.
Please check the list of Local Area Requirements July 2018 for the most up to date information before submitting your application.
Where your proposed development will involve works to trees or include large external spaces, a tree survey/arboricultural statement and/or a landscaping scheme will need to accompany your planning application.
The information below provides further details about when a tree survey/arboricultural statement or landscaping scheme is required, what information these documents should include, how they can be submitted to us and where further information can be found.
When is a tree survey/arboricultural statement or landscaping scheme required?
A tree survey/arboricultural statement should accompany applications for developments that will involve works to trees (both on the associated development site and the surrounding area).
A landscaping scheme should accompany applications for major developments that include large external spaces.
What information should be included in a tree survey/arboricultural statement or landscaping scheme?
Tree survey/arboricultural statement
A tree survey/arboricultural statement should include the following information:
- details of the existing species, spread, roots and position of trees
- indication of which trees will be felled as part of the proposed development
- details of trees that will be affected by the proposed development (including those located on adjacent sites) and what measures will be taken to protect them during construction
- plans and documents outlined in : BS5837:2012 - Trees in relation to design, demolition and construction – Recommendations
A landscaping scheme should include the following information:
- details of the proposed materials and species to be used for landscaping purposes
- including tree and plant numbers, sizes and planting densities
- details of levels, gradients and any earthwork required for the proposed development
- outline of the proposed timings for all landscaping activities
- proposals for the long-term maintenance and management of landscaped areas
How do I submit a tree survey/arboricultural statement or landscaping scheme?
If you apply for planning permission online using the Planning Portal, you will be given the opportunity to upload your tree survey/arboricultural statement or landscaping scheme after you have completed the relevant application forms. Before uploading any files, please read our guidance notes for submitting electronic files with planning applications.
If you choose to submit a paper-based application instead, you will need to provide four copies of your tree survey/arboricultural statement or landscaping scheme along with four copies of the relevant application forms.
Where can I find out further information?
For further information on preparing and submitting a tree survey/arboricultural statement or landscaping scheme, please see the following link below: