Skip to main content

Support if you can't pay your Council Tax

This is the improved Camden website. Find out what's new.

Support if you can't pay your Council Tax

If you can't pay your Council Tax, there are ways that we can help.

Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support, which used to be known as the Council Tax Reduction Scheme, helps to reduce Council Tax for people on a low income.

Find out if you are eligible for Council Tax Support.

Discounts and exemptions

Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to pay less or no Council Tax. Check if you qualify for a discount or exemption.

Change the way you pay

To make it easier for you to pay, you can change your payment date or the frequency of your Direct Debit payments. For example, paying over 12 months rather than 10 months.

Speak to us about making alternative payment arrangements by calling us on 0207 094 6470.

Discretionary discounts

In exceptional circumstances, we may be able to offer a discount on your bill. These are one off discounts if your personal or financial circumstances mean that you are unable to pay.

This is only available if you have already applied for Council Tax Support and any discounts or exemptions that you are eligible for.

Find out how to apply for a discretionary discount.

Local agencies that can help

There are many local organisations that can offer support and guidance if you are struggling financially. Our Camden Advice Network can give advice on money, benefits and debt.