Who needs a streetworks licence
A streetworks licence is required if you wish to:
- place, retain and inspect, maintain, adjust, repair, alter or renew apparatus; or
- change its position; or
- remove it from the Highway
Applications are subject to the New Road and Street Works Act 1991.
The term apparatus includes:
- sewer pipes
- water and gas pipes
Streetworks licences on Red Routes are licenced by Transport for London (TfL). You will need to contact TfL Forward Planning.
Capitalised Licence Fee
New Apparatus: £681.45
All applications will be subject to one of the following administration fees (criteria for each type of licence below):
Major Licence Administration Fee: £1363.95
- The work site area will be more than 20m2; and/or
- The excavation depth is greater than 1.5m; and/or
- The works will take longer than 10 days: and/or
- The works will be taking place on a high category road (see appendix A)
Standard Licence Administration Fee: £626.85
- A footway or carriageway closure is required; and/or
- The work site area will be more than 10m2; and/or
- The works/work site will encroach onto the carriageway; and/or
- The works will take longer than 4 days
Minor Licence Administration Fee: £409.50
These are all other licences
The works must comply to the NRSWA 1991, Specification for the reinstatement of openings in the highway and all other relevant CoP and will be inspected to ensure that they comply. All associated fees as set out in the CoP for inspections will apply.
All applications will be subject to an initial fee of £204 to cover the inspections (details of inspections can be found on the application form).
Defect Inspection Regime
In order to protect the integrity of the highway the London Borough of Camden will undertake inspections of the reinstated highway (as per NRSWA Section 72). If your completed reinstatement does not meet the specification as detailed in the current SROH the defect inspection regime will commence until a compliant reinstatement is completed.
All defect inspections are charged at £47.50 per inspection.
Extending your Licence
The cost to extend your licence is £152.25 per extension requested.
Apply for a licence
Step 1: download: Section 50 Application and Guidelines (PDF)
Step 2: Print off the pack and fill in the application form, referring to the guidelines where necessary
Step 3: Scan and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 4: Refer to the terms and conditions as there are certain conditions that you will need to meet leading up to the start of your work; some of these need to be completed up to 4 week before you start works