An opportunity to discuss your proposed scheme
Our pre application advice service provides an opportunity to discuss your proposed scheme and get clear written expert advice from a planning officer before you submit an application. This will let you know:
- whether or not your proposal is likely to be acceptable
- what can be done to make your application acceptable
- how we will apply our policies to your proposal
- which type of application form you will need and the related or supporting information you will need to submit.
We offer advice in the following categories:
- Changes to a single house or flat £432.69 (inc. VAT), for:
- proposals to alter or extend a single house or a flat
- Changes to a listed building £1236.26 (inc. VAT) for:
- Alterations to listed buildings where there is no increase in floor space
- Minor development (£989.02 (inc. VAT) for:
- Residential conversions up to 4 residential units with no extensions
- Extensions to non-residential buildings of up to 499m²
- Non-residential changes of use of less than 500m²
- Telecommunications equipment
- Air conditioning/ventilation equipment
- Shop fronts
- The demolition of an unlisted building in a conservation area
- Minor amendment to previously approved schemes
- Discharge of conditions attached to previously approved schemes
- Medium development £3708.81 (inc. VAT) for:
- Residential conversion with extensions of 1-9 units
- Residential new build of 1-9 units
- Extensions to non-residential buildings of 500-999m²
- Changes of use between 500-999m²
We also provide advice on major schemes, PPAs and provide a design review panel, which, due to their complexity, have their own dedicated pages
How do I submit a pre app request?
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Summary of your proposal and what you want the advice to focus on
- Drawings/sketches showing the proposal - please label pdfs so it is clear to what the drawing relates eg. existing front elevation
- It may help if you include photographs of the site and the surrounding area
What happens next?
Once we have received your submission, we will contact you with the reference number, fee and how to make payment.
Find full details of the Camden Design Review Panel including its purpose, what users of the service can expect, and a list of panel members.
Freedom of Information
Under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 or Environmental Information Regulations 2004 we may be asked by members of the public to disclose pre-application advice requests and the advice we have provided. Subject to certain exemptions, we are obliged to release this information, although personal contact details are protected under the Data Protection Act.
Due to an increase in the number of Freedom of Information (FOI) requests of this nature, we have decided to publish pre-application advice automatically once a related application is submitted. This is to ensure openness for applicants and consultees alike, and to reduce the costs involved in administering FOI requests. We may continue to receive requests for advice to be disclosed at earlier stages, which will need to be assessed individually under the legislation.
If you consider that any information contained in your pre-application should be exempt it is important that you bring this to the Council’s attention at the time of your request – you should also advise us in writing of the reasons why and time period for which the information should be treated as exempt. If we receive an information request relating to your development prior to a related application, we will take into account any reasons you have provided for making it exempt and will contact you before releasing any information.