Do I need planning permission?

You will need to apply for full planning permission to install, alter, replace or re-locate any plant, air conditioning, ventilation or extraction equipment where any part of the equipment will be fixed to the outside of the property.

If the property is a listed building (or part of a listed building) and the equipment will be fixed to either the internal or external walls, you will also need to apply for listed building consent.

Very small external equipment (for example, a small extractor fan that is not visible from the surrounding streets) may not require planning permission if it does not materially change the external appearance of the property.

Where can I find further information?

Please see policies DP28 (Noise and vibration) of Camden’s Development Policies document (pdf) and Chapter 4 of Camden Planning Guidance 6 – Amenity (pdf) which set out the policy with regards to noise and vibration from plant equipment. 

A noise, vibration and ventilation assessment will need to accompany a planning application for the installation, alteration or replacement of plant, ventilation, extraction or air conditioning equipment. 

Can I get confirmation that I do not require planning permission?

In situations where you may need to prove, or obtain peace of mind that an existing or a proposed piece of equipment is lawful, you can apply for a Lawful Development Certificate.

Am I likely to get planning permission?

If you want to find out whether your proposal is likely to be acceptable, you can apply for pre-planning application advice.

How do I apply?

You can apply via the national planning portal. To find out what information is required with your application, please see making a planning application.

Still not sure whether you need planning permission?

If you need further advice about whether you need planning permission contact planning advice and information.