Skip to main content

Paying for water as a council tenant

This is the improved Camden website. Tell us what you think.

Paying for water as a council tenant

The way you pay for water has changed

If you are a council tenant, the way you pay for your water has changed. It is important that you know about these changes to make sure that you pay for your water correctly.

Please note that leaseholders do not pay their water charges to the council so are not affected by these changes.

What has changed?

You used to pay your water charges to us when you paid your rent. The council collected these charges and paid them to Thames Water.

This has now changed because Thames Water want to collect their own water charges. From April 2019, you should no longer pay the council for your water with your rent and Thames Water will send you a separate bill for water instead.

Why has it changed?

Thames Water have decided to end their agreement with us to collect their charges. They have told us that they are going to collect water charges directly from you from April 2019.

What this means for you

The main difference is that you will need to pay for your water in a different way. Instead of paying for it with your rent, Thames Water will send you a separate water bill.

What happens now

You should have received your first bill from Thames Water. If you have any questions please contact us or you can find out more in our frequently asked questions.

How can I save money and water?

Find out if you can get a discount on your water bill with Watersure Plus. If your household income is less than £19,201 a year (excluding any disability benefits) you may be eligible for this special tariff from Thames Water which reduces your water bills by up to 50 per cent.

All Camden tenants have been sent a Watersure Plus application form by Thames Water. Fill in the form and send it back to Thames Water to find out if you are eligible, or call them to find out more on 0800 009 4238.

Find out how to save water and money and order FREE devices to help you save including a shower timer and water-saving kitchen tap from Thames Water.

If you live in Camden Town and Primrose Hill, Cantelowes, Gospel Oak or St Pancras and Somers Town wards, Camden Citizens Advice can help you with managing your finances including debts, keeping up with your bills and saving money.

Frequently asked questions

Find out more about the changes to your water billing in our frequently asked questions. 

Frequently asked

Get in touch

Contact us if you have any questions about the way you pay for water.

You can also