Skip to main content

Internal alterations and planning permission

This is the improved Camden website. Tell us what you think.

Internal alterations and planning permission

You can use our new tool to check if your project needs planning permission.

If your house or flat is a listed building, you must apply for listed building consent for most internal alterations. Generally, listed building consent is required for internal works which have an impact on the special interest of the property. This includes removing and erecting internal walls, new fixings and service pipes.

To carry out internal alterations to a listed building, send a description and photographs where possible to An officer will contact you to tell you whether you need listed building consent.

Planning permission is not required for internal alterations entirely contained within your property.

How do I apply for listed building consent?

You can apply via the national planning portal. To find out what information is needed with your application, see making a planning application

Am I likely to get listed building consent?

To find out whether your proposal is likely to be acceptable, you can apply for pre-planning application advice. Use the ‘changes to a listed building’ category.