Skip to main content

Immigration and legal help (UA)

This is the improved Camden website. Tell us what you think.

Immigration and legal help (UA)

If you need any assistance, please call the 24/7 free helpline +44 808 164 8810 (0808 164 8810 in the UK). If you cannot contact UK 0808 numbers please use +44 (0) 390 7510. You can also apply at

Ukraine Advice Project UK is a group of volunteer legal professionals with immigration and asylum expertise. They provide a free service to connect Ukrainian citizens (and others fleeing the Ukraine) with free legal advice on UK immigration, visas and asylum from qualified and regulated lawyers. You can email them at

Depending on the visa or immigration status you have been given to enter the UK, you may need to access immigration advice. You can get this from a qualified immigration adviser, who can speak to you about extending your visa or making a different kind of application in future.

Legal aid can help meet the costs of legal advice and representation but is only available for certain types of applications and for people who cannot afford to pay for a solicitor privately.

You can find a legal representative who is regulated by the UK’s Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) through the ‘Find an Immigration Advisor’ search function. You can also email to explain your situation and request free immigration advice. 

Applying for your biometric resident permit

You will need to submit your biometrics within 6 months of arriving in the UK to extend your stay for up to 3 years and be issued with a biometric residence permit (BRP) as evidence of your immigration status. You can start the process to provide your biometric information by completing the online form.

Once the Home Office have received your details, they will tell you how to provide your biometric information. You do not need to do this as soon as you reach the UK, but you do need to make sure that you have provided your biometrics before the 6 months leave you are granted ends. 

For any queries or support on this process you can call the government's free 24/7 helpline on 0808 164 8810

Local legal advice

There are lots of legal advice services in and around Camden who can help with immigration and asylum:

Camden Community Law Centre


Free legal assistance from volunteer barristers

CORAM Children’s Legal Centre

One-off email advice from a specialist solicitor

Crossroads Women

For women who are seeking asylum, including those who may be separated from their children.

Just for Kids Law

For young people aged 10 to 25 who live in London, on a range of immigration issues.

Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants (JCWI)

Rights of Women

Advice lines on immigration and asylum law for women.

Latin American House 

Immigration, asylum, nationality, detention, advice and casework, mainly (but not exclusively) for Latin Americans, Spanish and Portuguese speakers.