Skip to main content

Hard standings or paved areas and planning permission

This is the improved Camden website. Find out what's new.

Hard standings or paved areas and planning permission

You can use our new tool to check if your project needs planning permission.

Do I need planning permission?


You must apply for full planning permission to add or replace a hard standing or paved area. Examples are a patio or driveway.

If your flat is a listed building or part of, you must apply for listed building consent.


You must apply for householder planning permission to add or replace a hard standing or paved area. This is if any of the following apply:

  • it will be located between the house and the road and exceed 5m² and:
    • the hard surface will be made of non-porous materials.
  • Or: 
    • nothing will be done to direct run-off water to a permeable or porous area. This is within the land around the original house. 
  • it will be added to the front of a house covered by an Article 4 Direction

If your house is a listed building, you must also apply for listed building consent.

More information

The paving your front garden section of the national planning portal has lots of guidance and useful information.

You can find more guidance on the permeable surfacing of front gardens on the Communities and Local Government website.

Can I get confirmation that I do not need planning permission?

Apply for a Lawful Development Certificate (LDC) to prove that a hard standing or paved area is lawful. This is for both an existing or proposed area.

Am I likely to get planning permission?

To find out whether your proposal is likely to be accepted, you can apply for pre-planning application advice

How do I apply?

You can apply via the national planning portal.  To find out what information is needed with your application, see making a planning application.

Still not sure whether you need planning permission?

For further advice about whether you need planning permission, contact planning advice and information.