Housing Renewal Assistance Policy

The type of work for which you may get financial assistance in the form of a grant includes:

  • Adaptations and facilities to help disabled people live independently in their home
  • Repairs and improvements to protect the occupier’s health and safety
  • Repairs and improvements to protect the occupier’s security
  • Repairs and improvements to protect the occupier’s health and safety and make the premises wind and weatherproof
  • Energy efficiency measures such as central heating, insulation and solar water heating/electricity
  • Grants to landlords of bedsit and hostel type accommodation
  • Works to bring empty properties back into residential use and/or convert existing properties to provide additional accommodation.

The assistance available will depend on the type of works to be carried out and the ownership and occupation of the property. It may be possible in some cases to receive more than one type of assistance.

Types of Grant available

Disabled facilities Grant (DFG)

A mandatory grant to assist disabled people to modify their homes to allow them to live independently. This grant is also available to landlords.

Discretionary Disabled facilities Grant (DFG)

A discretionary grant for those applicant that do not qualify for the DFG. Can be used to top up the DFG.

Health & Safety Grant

A grant for small scale works of repair to reduce health and safety risk to the property.

Security Grant

A grant for small scale works to make the property more secure.

Relocation grant

A grant to help applicants to move to more suitable accommodation.

Energy Efficiency and Eco Grant

A grant to make your home more energy efficient.

Landlord Grant

A grant for landlords of bedsits and hostels to voluntarily carry out improvement works to their property to meet minimum Housing in Multiple Occupation (HMO) Standards as well as installing energy efficiency measures and door entry systems.

Housing Supply Grant

A grant to increase the supply of residential accommodation by bringing empty properties back into use or the conversion of a dwelling to provide additional accommodation.

How to apply

Contact private sector housing team directly hmolicensing@camden.gov.uk.

Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG)

The disabled facilities grant is a mandatory means tested financial grant, to help meet the costs of adapting a property (this can include mobile homes and houseboats) in which a disabled adult or child lives.

Owner occupiers and private tenants may apply for then grant for the disabled person in their household. A landlord may apply for the grant, for an adaptation for their tenant.

The amount of grant will depend on the financial circumstances of the disabled person for whom the adaptation is being carried out and this person’s husband wife or partner.

We will give you more detailed advice and will carry out an initial check to give you an idea how much you may need to contribute towards the cost of the works. This is known as the ‘preliminary test of resources’.

What type of work are eligible for assistance?

  • Providing ramps, widening external/internal doors, shallow steps
  • Adapting, or providing, suitable washing/bathing/showering/toilet facilities
  • ensuring the disabled person can move around and access parts of the home so they can look after someone else
  • facilitating the preparation of food and cooking in the kitchen
  • installing ceiling track hoists
  • installing a stair lift or a ‘through the floor’ lift
  • providing access to gardens

The adaptations must meet the specific needs of the disabled person. It must also be reasonable and practicable in relation to the property.

You will be entitled to assistance if our social services department recommends an adaptation. We will advise you how the assessment by social services will be arranged.
Our occupational therapist will make the assessment if you have a physical disability

Can all disabled persons apply?

You cannot normally get a disabled facilities grant if:

  • You are a council tenant. You should contact your neighbourhood officer or the housing adaptations team
  • The cost of the works is less than £1000
  • Works are in excess of those recommended by the occupational therapist

How much grant will I get?

The maximum amount of grant is £30,000. 

If the cost of the works is more than the grant, you may be able to apply for help with a discretionary grant. 

If repairs are also required to the dwelling being adapted, you may be able to apply for other grant assistance.

Discretionary Disabled Facilities grant (DDFG) Policy

The Regulatory Reform (Housing Assistance) (England and Wales) Order enables the approval of grants that will facilitate the use of mandatory disabled facilities grants (DFGs). It allows works to be done that enable the lives at homes of disabled people or those likely to become disabled or infirm.

The discretionary policy means that the council can determine the provision of DFGs subject to available funding in the following circumstances.

  • Increase the grant available for a mandatory DFG where the reasonable costs of the structural building works exceeds £30,000 and the applicant has been assessed as having no contribution to make. This shall be limited to an additional £15,000.
  • Enable provision of desirable works through discretionary DFG that are outside the scope of the mandatory DFG policy, including converting a room for a long term/ short-term carer.
  • Use DFG to enable a disabled occupant who has been assessed as having no contribution to make to be temporarily rehoused for the duration of the works; when due to the nature of the property, the applicant is unable to stay in the property or the works would have a negative impact on the applicant’s health.
  • Use DFG, where the disabled applicant suffers from a life-limiting condition and a formal means test would significantly delay the grant application.
  • Use DFG for scooter storage, access to garden, clearing out, compact furniture to facilitate access e.g. for a wheelchair.
  • Use DFG where the service user or their carer would be at significant risk if the work was not completed e.g. wiring and plumbing.
  • Dual residency of a disabled child - In cases where families separate and a court order provides that residency of the disabled child is split between the mother and father (or other designated guardian) the Authority may consider the award of discretionary DFG to one property.
  • A DFG can be granted for a child in foster care providing the likely length of care at the dwelling is expected to be years rather than months. In such circumstances the grant will be discretionary and not mandatory, and will be subject to the availability of funding.
  • Pay for repair or warranty for DFG facilities where this has expired, at a maximum cost of £1500.
  • Use the DFG to target a block of flats in the private sector where a high proportion of elderly leaseholders and private sector tenants reside. Use DFG for small blocks of less than 10 flats looking for opportunities to improve access in preparation for later life events e.g. disability, loss of mobility.
  • Hospital Discharge Grant. This grant supports the return of hospital patients to their home, where hazards such as leaking roofs or dangerous electrics delay their discharge. The grant can encompass non- structural matters such as insect infestations or adaptations that do not require substantial preparatory work or construction. The funding will be limited to those levels identified in the general Housing Renewal Assistance Policy.
  • Use DFG for minor adaptations under £1,000 for tenants in the private rented sector and owner-occupiers.
  • Use DFG for works related to heating and insulation that will enable or encourage disabled persons to remain in their own homes.
  • Use DFG for works related to dwelling security measures that will enable disabled persons feel safe in their homes.
  • Use DFG for works related to hazards to the structure of the dwelling that will reduce the risk of accidents to enable disabled persons to remain in their homes.

Note: where works for DFG discretionary grants are the same as those that would permit entitlement to Housing Renewal Assistance discretionary grants the same limits and general terms and conditions will apply.

HMO Improvement Grant

Grant assistance to encourage landlords to improve their Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) properties to the minimum HMO Standards.

Maximum Grant Amount

•    Maximum per let – £3,000
•    Maximum per building – £20,000
Whichever is the lesser amount;

Eligible Works for Improvement to minimum HMO standards

To provide new amenities such as wash hand basins, kitchens, bathrooms and toilets to meet minimum HMO Standards.

To upgrade existing amenities to meet current minimum HMO standards.

Landlords also need to be a member of the London Landlord Accreditation Scheme

Landlord Security Grant

Grant assistance to encourage landlords and freeholders to improve domestic security in their properties.

Maximum Grant Amount

£500 – per let for approved security measures
£5,000 – per building for approved security measures
Whichever is the lesser amount;

Eligible Works for Approved Security Measures

Works to provide a communal intercom door entry system. A video door entry system will also be considered. The system must extend to all lets within the building.
•    Window and door locks
•    Approved door viewers
•    Letterbox shrouds
•    London and Birmingham bars

Landlords also need to be a member of the London Landlord Accreditation Scheme.

Landlord energy efficiency and insulation Grant

Grant assistance to encourage landlords to improve their properties by installing energy efficiency measures.

Maximum Grant Amount

£1,500 – per one bedroom or bedsit let
£3,000 – per two bedroom let
£4,500 – per three or more bedroom let
£15,000 – per building

Whichever is the lesser amount;

Eligible Works for Energy Efficiency and Insulation Grant

  • Loft insulation, an insulating jacket for hot water tanks or draught proofing only if in conjunction with another measure below:
  • Insulation of a flat roof above habitable rooms
  • Insulation of external cavity walls
  • Insulation of external solid walls
  • Floor insulation for rooms above an unheated void.
  • Zoning of existing gas central heating for individual units of accommodation

The maximum grant limit will be increased when at the completion of works the EPC shows the dwelling has achieved the following ratings, this shall apply only where there is an increase in the rating.

No grant enhancement will be given if the dwelling/s have achieved these ratings prior to works been carried out. This only applies to properties rated D, E or F prior to works commencing.

A – 25%
B – 15%
C – 10%

Landlords also need to be a member of the London Landlord Accreditation Scheme.

Empty Property grant

Camden offers grants up to a maximum of £80,000

£15,000 – per bedsit and/or studio and/or one bedroom dwelling
£30,000 – per two bedroom single household dwelling
£40,000 – per three bedroom single household dwelling or larger
£80,000 – per building
Whichever is the lesser amount

You’re eligible for a grant once your property has been empty for 12 months.
Landlords will be expected to sign a nomination agreement to the council for 3 years

Landlords also need to be a member of the London Landlord Accreditation Scheme