Do I need planning permission?
Erecting or adding to a fence, gate or wall
- it would be over 1m high and next to a highway used by vehicles or be over 2m high and located elsewhere (such as a back garden);
- an existing wall over 1m high would be rebuilt higher than its original height when next to a highway used by vehicles;
- an existing wall over 2m high would be rebuilt higher than its original height when located elsewhere (such as a back garden);
- it is located at the front of your house or side if visible from the street and the property is covered by an Article 4 Direction;
- your house or flat is a listed building; or
- the fence, gate, wall or any other boundary involved, forms a boundary with a neighbouring listed building or its curtilage.
Demolishing an existing garden fence, gate or wall
- the fence, gate or wall to be demolished is in a conservation area, is over 1m high and located next to a highway used by vehicles (or the footpath of such a highway) or is over 2m high and located elsewhere.
Where I can I find more information?
The fences, gates and garden walls section of the national planning portal has more guidance and useful information.
If permission is required, information on the design of boundary walls can be found on page 53 of Camden Planning Guidance 1 - Design (PDF)
Can I get confirmation that I do not require planning permission?
In situations where you may need to prove, or obtain peace of mind that an existing or a proposed fence, gate or garden wall is lawful, you can apply for a Lawful Development Certificate (LDC)
Am I likely to get planning permission?
If you want to find out whether your proposal is likely to be acceptable, you can apply for pre-planning application advice
How do I apply?
You can apply via the national planning portal To find out what information is required with your application, please see making a planning application
Still not sure whether you need planning permission?
If you need further advice about whether you need planning permission you can contact planning advice and information