Reducing energy bills
There are lots of ways to save energy and money on energy bills.
Green Camden Helpline
Contact the Green Camden Helpline on 0800 801 738 or email Green Camden for advice including:
- Top tips to make your home warmer and save money
- Fuel tariffs and switching supplier
- What to do if you are in fuel or water debt – there is help available
- Eligibility check for energy efficiency grants and services:
- Well and Warm home energy advice visits
- Private sector energy efficiency grants
- Turning down your thermostat by only 1°C could reduce your heating bills by up to 10%.
- Set your hot water tank to 60°C to prevent water from being overheated.
- Conserve energy by not leaving electrical items on standby. Prevent further wastage by not keeping laptops and mobile phones charging unnecessarily.
- Draw your curtains at dusk to retain heat in your home.
- Take a 3 minute shower rather than a bath – showers use a lot less hot water.
- Wash your clothes at 30°C, with a full load each time.
- Keep internal doors closed to reduce draughts.
- Use ‘eco’ mode on appliances where possible.
- Bleed your radiators every so often to keep them working efficiently.
- Request a smart meter to allow you to keep track of your energy use.
- Look for energy efficient alternatives for your lighting.
- Insulate your hot water pipes to stop heat escaping.
- Fit your hot water tank with an insulating jacket.
- Use programmable heating controls to turn your heating on only when it’s needed.
- Fit thermostatic radiator valves (TRVs) to keep frequently visited rooms warm whilst turning off radiators in rooms that aren’t being used.
Financial support if you're in hardship
Find out about financial support available.