Got symptoms? Book a test
There are two main reasons you might need to book a Covid-19 test:
- You or someone in your household has developed Covid-19 symptoms – book a PCR test via: nhs.gov.uk/coronavirus or call 119
- You don’t have symptoms – book a lateral flow test or call 020 7974 4444 (option 9)
Some of the symptoms of COVID-19 include:
- a high temperature
- a new, continuous cough
- a change to, or loss of, your sense of taste or smell
If you develop any of these symptoms, however mild, stay home and book a free, PCR test online: nhs.uk/coronavirus or call the NHS on 119. Tests are free and available to everyone. It takes 5-10 minutes to organise a test and you should receive results with 48 hours. When booking a PCR test, you will be given the option to select a home testing kit, which will be posted to you, or you can book an in-person appointment at a local NHS test site. Book online: gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test
Get a PCR test at the following NHS test sites in Camden:
- Kingsgate Community Centre, 107 Kingsgate Rd, West Hampstead, London NW6 2JH (indoors, step-free access) - no booking required, open 8am-6pm for PCR testing
Holiday opening hours: 10am-2pm on Saturday 25 December, Sunday 26 December and Saturday 1 January
What to do after you get your test result
You will receive a text message or email from NHS Test and Trace with your result within 48 hours.
If your test result is negative: this means you do not currently have coronavirus and do not need to self-isolate. Please continue to follow the public health guidance to keep yourself and your family safe. If you develop symptoms, self isolate and book a test.
If your test result is positive: you must self isolate for 10 days. Self-isolating means not leaving home for any reason. This is to help prevent passing the virus on to others. Please know that the Council can support you to self-isolate, if needed.
If you get 2 negative rapid test results on day 6 and day 7 and do not have any COVID-19 symptoms, you can stop self-isolating after 7 days. If you test positive on days 6 and 7 you must self-isolate for 10 days.
Advice for close contacts of COVID-19 cases
Fully vaccinated adults who are close contacts of COVID-19 cases are required to take daily lateral flow tests for 7 days, instead of self-isolating for 10 days.
If you’re a close contact and you’re unvaccinated or you have only had one dose you should continue to self-isolate for 10 days.
Access support to self-isolate
We know it is a challenging time and that self-isolating can be difficult so we want to reassure you that the Council is here to support you if you need it. This includes:
- financial support if you are on a low income - apply for a £500 Test and Trace Support Payment
- access to a device to support your child to keep up with their education
- mental health support
- support to access essential food or medicine
If you need support to self-isolate, please call us on 020 7974 4444 (option 9) or for more general information go to camden.gov.uk/coronavirus.